Shapeways is slowly but surely shaping up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 119957_deleted, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Hello everyone,
    I have been using Shapeways for over 1.5 years now and like most of us, have tested and tried (compared) most currently available 3D printing companies.
    Many of us struggle with proper wall thicknesses (probably the most common struggle) as well as model size/detail issues, etc.
    There is a materials/property page, which most of us know by now, that has detailed info on wall thicknesses, detail, etc .for each material. One should read that first before sending off a model - I am one of those (many) who didn't and ran into tons of problems, partially because I used a different company a while back, the same company that provides the metal printers for Shapeways, Exone.
    Back then Exone was the greatest 3D metal printing company one could imagine. Their prices were unbeatable and the service was beyond expectation. Their customer service was the greatest ever, I am not downplaying the customer service shapeways has (a bit more on that later).
    For those who don't know what it means to have great customer service - here it is - Someone who one can call and email, who talks to one with patience, great knowledge and understanding of the entire production line and procedure, helps one to make a model printable in the least expensive way and that not only once but every time a problem comes up, making one feel more part of the process and company than rather being just a customer.
    They are still good and still somewhat deal with one that way but it has become far less personal as their production started to grow (which is a good thing).
    Back then they also made parts that really set the standard for me and what is actually doable with a modern Exone Metal Printer. The 3mm wall thickness rule back then did NOT exist and they made 5 nice Sculptures for me that seem impossible today.

My first encounter with shapeways was a rough one - I was told to keep changing my models here and there, just a bit more just a bit more that in the end I had to realize nobody wants to tell me WE CAN'T DO IT THAT SMALL - I ended up scrapping that idea until recently when Shapeways started incorporating Bronze and Brass. The downside,those materials are quite expensive as all metal is, so that the same figures I had Exone done back in the day would cost a fortune and - I have not checked yet - they might even be too big for Brass or Bronze.

Shapeways always had a good idea with the uploading system but essential elements were missing, WALL THICKNESS CHECK most of all and a few other important elements that would make the uploading and checking of parts easier for the modeler and also for the people who have to check the pieces for printability - in short the uploading system wasn't up to par. Now that is slowly but steadily changing and recently they upgraded the system in a big way
    - WALL THICKNESS CHECK! That is great while models will always have to be checked by a person this new feature shows instantly where there might be problems and one can fix those before it goes any further, then simply re-upload them. In addition, should a model still be rejected Shapeways NOW instantly adds an image to the email that shows WHY a model is being rejected - that, before, had to be requested in a second email. So those are 2 major improvements and should help both sides dramatically. One thought here, the thickness check button is only visible when the model is first uploaded, It would be great to have that available at all times as one might not check all the materials the model can be printed in.

Sapeways and CUSTOMER SERVICE - I have been through tons of back and forth emails (sometimes things are easier and faster resolved over the phone), and I do have to say that I did have conversations that ended without return email - however never with any of the customer service girls, they always answer back and I never had issues with money being returned, Shapeways IS on top of that. Mishaps happen so that's being taken into account.

As mentioned, Shapeways slowly is expanding their Material-list, which is great as I only know of one other company that has as many (even more) materials to offer.

Shapeways DISCOUNTS - here I encountered one major mistake. The mistake is in handling (CALCULATING) discounts that are either made up of a dollar amount or go by percentage. If one gets $50 off an order over $200 than that is a dollar amount that will be taken off the total order amount. Seems logical.
    If a discount is 50% off of an order, than the percentage of the total, whatever that total may be will be taken off - makes sense as well.
    Take the case of a Dollar discount (amount) not a percentage discount. Like my above example - $50 off on an order over $200 - many might remember that great christmas discount (2013). I happened to have an order over $400 and a couple of models were rejected, dropping my total to $300. When I looked at my order details I noticed that the $50 dollar discount was gone, as Shapeways had SPLIT UP the amount as if it was a percent discount. That is a major mistake of course - and I was told by 2 people that it was handled the right way - until I began explaining the difference between a dollar discount and a percentage discount. I wanted to talk to someone who was in charge of that, as it obviously is a mistake. My favorite customer service person, C.H. - which I ended up sending an email to, did correct the mistake, but I don't know if that is now fixed for good.
    Percentage discounts obviously will be split up to different models, a dollar amount discount is obviously taken off the total amount it is referring to (in that case $200+).
    Other than that discounts are always welcome and appreciated.

Shapeways PRICING - Pricing is ALWAYS an issue and I have found that Shapeways is the best in low prices when it comes down to a certain size model - For Metal $35 is the number - everything that's around or below $35, Shapeways is the best place to go to. From there on up it depends very much on the material, while their popular white strong, flexible plastic is probably the lowest priced throughout the 3D printing world at this time - some other materials become more expensive as the models get bigger, compared to other companies, typically the Brass and Bronze and Stainless steel parts. Ceramics - Shapeways also has the upper hand with offering the lowest price there.

SHIPPING - The shipping cost is very reasonable and I'd say to make sure to at least order 2 Items so you get a good deal on shipping as the standard price is $6.50 for all orders. There are places that don't charge shipping but are over all a bit more pricey.

PRODUCTION TIMES - Shapeways production times can take LONG up to over one month. If one doesn't care GREAT use Shapeways as you'll probably get the best pricing (in general). If you need your Model right away, Shapeways is not the place for you but you'll be in for a much bigger price tag.
    Production time depends on order numbers because they collect enough orders to fill a machine, that's why the waiting time but that's how they can manage a lower price.

And now finally QUALITY - Shapeways Quality is very nice. Plain and simple. I had them make models out of numerous different materials and they all look nice! If one has the money (which I unfortunately don't) have them make your model out of different materials as sometimes the one material one thought to be the best looking is not. Absolutely flawless surfaces are still a problem with some 3D manufacturing techniques and some surfaces simply show small flaws (even when polished), which would not be there if the old lost wax method would be used - here I mean all the way old school, some materials are first printed in wax and then the lost wax procedure goes from there, like Brass and Bronze (when I'm not mistaken). Further some models still can't be produced as one would have to alter certain proportions because of areas being too thin, changing proportions on a well proportioned model to be able to manufacture it (3D Manufacturing technology) is and will always be a NO.
    But that will change at some point as machines and adhesive materials will improve over the years.
    The key/goal is, of course, to be able to produce a flawless surface with absolute minimal post production work.

My biggest wish would be, to keep ALL ORDERED ITEMS of ONE ORDER together and not to stop and cancel an item right away as soon as there is a problem - I do understand that that's a bit tricky as good models will go straight to the "collective batch" (in lack of the correct term), to keep production rolling, however often there is just a small change in order to make that canceled item ready to go, which would be ready the very next day or even a couple of hours after rejection. That is something I really would like to be changed as the rejected item has to become a complete new order. Sometimes losing a good discount and also having to double up on shipping cost. That in itself is not particularly customer friendly even though I do understand why it's being handled that way...so far at least.

My second biggest wish would be to be able to call in as one phone call can fix a problem right away, compared to 2-4 emails that take 2-4 days.

To people who are new to 3D manufacturing and the different materials available - BEFORE ORDERING AN ITEM, not exactly knowing what the material would be like, GET A SAMPLE KIT! I read a post where someone ordered a white, strong flexible part and realized it was not flexible then began complaining about it not being flexible. The material IS flexible when printed in thin strands and walls as shown with many wire like models, yet very solid if printed with thicker walls. To describe that material properly is not that easy and even though it is described on the materials page I can see that people misunderstand as it states HIGH FLEXIBILITY. But there are also TONS of examples what people did with the different materials - NOBODY has made a model that is meant to be flexible like rubber. So a bit research and common sense might help as well. In any case GET A SAMPLE KIT it will help sort out what works for what, unless you are familiar with the actual material terms and know what they are like. For real flexibility Shapeways offers Elasto Plastic - the name already, I'd say, says it all.

All in all, Shapeways is a good company that is run by humans like you and I, and as I said before, mishaps can happen, but I have not had anything that wasn't resolved in the end, whenever there was a problem.
    The company is still "young" and has already vastly improved over the last year, with very nice quality throughout the range of their materials.
    It has become my company of choice for all my 3D models and ideas.

Jens from JS Sculptures

Skull Crusher.jpg

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The link(s) to ViewThinWalls for each material are on the Edit Model page. Once uploaded, the links are live and stay with the model. You can look at the tool any time. What you might be seeing is that older model uploads have not been checked (yet) - only models uploaded since the tool became available have the option to see the Visualization Tool.

There are millions of models in the database (100k new ones every month) - to go back and process all the old models will require a significant amount of resources. They pushed the tool "out there" so that we could start working with it, but (we) need to develop a plan on how to process all the old items - just the cpu time required might take the queue several months to work thru the entire database. Also, there's no need to check models that have become abandoned, and no real need to check models that have previously been successfully ordered.

I've suggested an option to check older models only "On Demand" - add a button that would process the one single model you're looking at. That would balance the desire to see the tool for older models, and reduce the size of the queue drastically.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    If my understanding is correct;
    ExOne have a $150 minimum order value.
    ExOne are able to bend over backwards to help you get your design printed, Shapeways are not.
    I have approached ExOne to make some of my prints direct, but find Shapeways more favourable due to the fact
    that the minimum order in reality is maybe $25 tops (small model volume + markup + postage + VAT), obviously
    this is different for larger or multiple prints.

Don't get me started on pricing - I have to pay in Euros, not the advertised USD, Shapeways know my feelings, nuffsed.

Production times - only issues I've experienced in 3+ years was during the early times when I pushed the limits and
    models broke before dispatch, hey ho that's down to me.

Shipping service via UPS to the UK is great too, I know members from other countries have some issues with UPS though.

Customer service - sometimes there seems to be a language barrier or mis-information about issues, but eventually
    everything gets resolved one way or another... the language barrier would be worse via telephone (although I would
    prefer to speak to someone about issues), but again, hey ho that's one of those things.

As for advice about materials, yep the sample kit is the way forward - the previous version was in my first order.

Wall thickness etc. NetFabbStudio Basic is free and is great for checking measurements and thicknesses before
    upload, a thorough modeller shouldn't need to rely upon automated checks.

All in all Shapeways is a great company for the masses as long as the masses have an understanding of the technology.

Just my 2p (GBP) worth ;)

Paul

(p.s. when will the forum be returned back to a state when images don't cause text to be right over ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------ > there?)

4. PopeDesign
    PopeDesign Well-Known Member
    There are venders out there that will orientate your model exactly the way you want when its being printed (huge for surface quality with FUD) and you don't get a bag full of goop and goop covered parts when ordering FUD and they will and can print out FUD tolerances that SHapeways used to do about a year or so ago. And the machines are calibrated more often so your fine detail is not offset one way or the other and your parts don't show up all warped and you can actually talk to someone on the phone and not just email when you have a problem.... But it will cost you about 4 times as much and there will be no store to sell your stuff. So there is definitely a trade off with your wallet. I view SHapeways to be the Walmart of rapid prototyping. That's not a bad thing at all. You just get what you pay for...

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Jon,

Be sure to share with service all your issues, and even the quality you get else where. We shouldn't be sending goop, offsets, broken or warped pieces.

6. JSSculptures,

Thanks for the detailed and honest feedback. I appreciate you listing the good and the bad :) We're constantly improving and release updates every week. Hopefully you'll continue to see good improvements in the areas of difficulty you mentioned!

7. I can't say my own experience has been great so far to be honest, in spite of a promising start. It's not having parts rejected that is the problem, it is having such parts rejected a couple of days after the said same parts have been accepted and put into production and this is after they had been run through programs like netfabb to correct any errors before upload. It's this inconsistency that is confusing and that has now put me off. With the amount I've spent and the amount I was considering spending on new models (I have a whole new set of designs I am hoping to print) I think I would be better placed investing in my own printer. At the very least I might get a much clearer understanding if prints don't work out. Cheers for now folks!

8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Rejection after a part was already in the "production" step would suggest that it met all the design guidelines but still could not be printed - or, more likely,
    always broke apart when they tried to extract and/or clean it. Which material ? You might want to check youtube for videos of the production process, in particular if it was something that cannot be done with a printer that costs less than an average car.

9. Hi mkroeker

The order status is actually now showing the previous part to be "all done!". That to me would suggest that they've managed to print successfully. If it's printed successfully once then surely it should do so again?

One thing that might be helpful for failed or difficult prints - and I'll put this on the suggestions area if it hasn't already been done - is if Shapeways were to upload a photograph of the print. Such a thing can be far more informative in showing the designer just how their model can be expected to turn out, including how problem details can manifest themselves in real life, than the usual netfabb-style render image alone can.

In addition to the above, the parts that have been described as being "loose shells" are the same as those on one of my earlier prototypes which is presently sat behind my keyboard as I type. This was far less refined than the current model yet it has printed out just fine.

I think the notion of photographs, to better demonstrate results and tolerances, would be quite useful in giving modelers a better understanding of what they might expect. Cheers for now!

10. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    In NetFabb you can see how many shells there are. I find the best solution for getting a print ready model is to use NetFabb's Cloud Service - https://cloud.netfabb.com - the model will come back with all overlapped shells unioned together as one shell, the repairs are the same as NetFabb Studio Basic, and the timeout for a multi interlaced shell model is about the same as Shapeways MeshMedic.

Asides from wall thicknesses and the dreaded operator interpretaion of 'the rules' everything should be good to go.

Paul

[edit]smelling pistakes

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  11. mkroeker
    That depends .. it might have taken them something like three reprints (at their cost) to get that one successful print that is sent to you. In that case, they might be reluctant to print that beast again... though with the recent changes in the feedback process, I believe they will now tell you when a model is marginal.

I tend to agree, but I can also understand why it would seem like a bad idea from a marketing standpoint - showing prospective customers what can all go wrong when the official marketing message is that it is all as easy as uploading a file. For the specific case of "full-color sandstone", there was a thread posted in early december that contains a very instructive pdf document detailing failure modes of that process.

This could be a numerical accuracy problem with your models or modeling software - details sometimes touching/overlapping just enough to be fused to give a single shell, sometimes just far enough from the main body to stay separate (and possibly get lost after printing, if they are tiny)

12. duram
    duram Member
    The only complain I have and I think can be changed is not the possibility to pay by Paypal or Credit Card and send to a different address that the billing address, for me it will be easy to pay by any way and ship wherever I want independent of the billing address.

Another complain is the fact that you do not use normal mail to send items, I live in Brazil and UPS service here is very bad but our normal mail is is good but I cant choose which one to use.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  13. Hi folks, thanks for your thoughts.

Regarding netfabb, I've primarily used the download to check for errors. I recently uploaded a part to their cloud service but I'm still waiting to hear back.

One thing I'm curious about, if Shapeways use the same or similar service is there a reason why they can't offer to fix the part for the customer to save the rigmarole of rejection, fix, reload, reorder? They already send the customer an email with an image of the failed part so why not send an email with the same image and an image of what the part might look like if a fix is applied (obviously if a fix 'can' be applied) 'before' cancelling the order? That would give the customer the chance to determine whether they still think its worth it.

On the point of whether a part is marginal or whether it has taken repeated attempts I would rather be told that this is the case (or even told after the first failed attempt) so that I can go back and revisit the model for sheer practicality if anything. Unfortunately I've not received anything like this, not that I can see anyway, just emails one day to tell me a model has gone into production and then the next day for an order placed for the same that it has been rejected.

Not sure I agree on the marketing bit to be honest. I think most of us realize that this is not as easy as it seems, certainly those of us who have had to learn to design our own models at least and I think we would be far more sympathetic to such responses. I certainly would as it would help me far better to visualize the problems which might help me decide whether a marginal or even more radical change was warranted.

On the numerical accuracy issue, I can't really say to be honest.

Anyway, I think I've come to the end of the road with Shapeways. I've just received parts from my most recent orders and the best way to describe them is something of a mixed bag. They are all printed in FUD and some of the parts are fantastic with crisp details and sharp structures. Others are less so with sharp lines running across what should be flat surfaces and rough edges where they should be more defined. Such things would really show up under a paint job. The parts 'might' be usable after some sanding but it's hard to say yet. The real concern lies with the larger parts. These have come out bowed or very slightly 'banana'd'. On the two parts that are frames it might be possible to straighten these out, I'm guessing if a certain amount of heat/pressure is applied? On the other main part which is a flat piece its a lot harder to see how this might be corrected since it is bowed on the flat.

The parts have to be dead straight and symmetric with a suitably fine finish to be suitable for the final model. So as it stands, from a batch containing 52 parts, only 32 are immediately usable, 16 more if sanding allows a suitable finish and a further 2 if they can be straightened but the last and one of the biggest is possible a write off. I've emailed a photo of this to Shapeways but I've yet to hear anything other than the inevitable rejection of my last uploaded model. I'm awaiting another 8 parts (like the parts above, to be delivered in three packages over multiple days - another symptom of the incremental approach to processing and rejection) and then that'll be it for me.

Shapeways, for me, has been an interesting, though (at €500 and counting) expensive experiment which has shown the real potential for 3D parts in my models while also showing some limitations and where scratch-building may still be superior. Given the costs to date, the hit and miss results, not to mention the weeks spent trying to get the models designed and printed and the hassle of trying to accommodate multiple deliveries, my feeling is that if I wish to take this further I would be best placed investing in my own 3D printer. I certainly don't see the viability of offering the parts up for sale through a shop. For what I've spent I'll have some of the main parts for 3 models and that's only if the marginal parts can be saved. For that price I can't see how they would be worth it. Cheers for now folks! Good luck with your printing! :)

14. mkroeker
    Actually trying to fix a customer's models would take (expensive) time - shapeways' business model is trying to make industry-standard printing affordable through streamlined processes. You might want to hire an experienced modeller (through the "3d modeler needed" forum) for assistance, or try one of the more conventional (and seriously more expensive) rapid prototyping services until you are familiar with the pitfalls of the process.
    Regarding warped parts, try putting them in hot water (~60 C / 150F) for a few minutes - this should allow you to straigthen them out.
    The other issue you mention appears to be "print lines" - these are a direct consequence of the incremental printing process, but it usually depends on the orientation of the model if/where they show up. (Orientation is decided by shapeways and may vary between
    prints - best email service with pictures of bad models.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  15. Thanks mkroeker,

To be honest I'd rather learn myself and invest in my own printer. This is what I've done with other applications and specialisms. Thanks for the tip on the hot water, I'll go and try it now. As for the print lines, again, I'll give sanding a try. If that works, then all's well. If not I'll send a picture to Shapeways. Cheers.

16. railNscale
    railNscale Well-Known Member
    Hello,

Sorry, but I do disagree with the title.
    Shaeways is crying about some improvements. Reality is that the vast majority of problems are caused by the totally inadequate service-team of SW.
    Basically there is ONE problem only and that is the rejection policy which is the number ONE reasom I would leave SW.
    90% of the rejections proved to be absolute nonsense.
    The policy of rejections is causing a lot of problems. Personally I get very irritated about the standards lines like: "Help us resolve issues with your customer's order". In reality this means nothing SW is not interested in solving anything. It means the order was rejected for whatever reasn and we certainly do not want to communicate about this, let alone solve this.

Good luck,
    Maurice

17. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    I completely agree with you, Maurice.

They do not realize that first scare off potential customers with their rejections so that later we end up going the designers.

p.s.: Maurice, awesome work in your shop!

18. Most of my parts have now arrived, albeit in multiple deliveries. One package went missing for a while but now appears to have shown up and delivery has been rescheduled for Friday. That means, as a consequence of the incremental processing, rejection and production (I've made some comments about this in the suggestions column) combined with issues with the courier, attempted or actual deliveries will have been carried out every day this week plus last Friday. I have effectively had to reorganize my working life around this for a week. A number of people had expressed interest in my model parts but there's no way I can recommend this. It feels far too random. Instead I'm going to look into getting casts made from the parts and simply create resin copies instead. Old fashioned I know, but a lot more reliable. Cheers folks, and good luck with your printing!

19. AGAH
    AGAH Member
    Whilst I would agree that Shapeways has made considerable improvements in many areas, I'm finding that more of my models are appearing with fine vertical ridges than used to be 'This for me is a major problem. Was I just fortunate in the past on the choice of orientation by Shapeways ?

20. disegnouno
    disegnouno Member
    Hi, JS,
    thank you for your thoughts, very useful for "beginners" like us.
    The last sentence is enlightening for us.
    Thanks also to Shapeways to support our designs; every day we learn and learn more.

Cheers, Disegnouno