Home » Community » Introductions » Hi!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hi! [message #8439] Sun, 20 December 2009 06:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar mnpazan  is currently offline mnpazan
Go to all my models
Hi all! My name's Mike, and I'm a new.

Just found Shapeways about a month ago (via a mention in instructables.com article)., and have been browsing & lurking to learn more since.

My background is nothing special: I'm not a designer or a graphic artist or a CG artist, just a bloke who likes to build models for a hobby. Shapeways interests me because it would allow me to more easily create custom or corrected parts.

Rapid prototyping is becoming more common for that sort of thing, but the thing that's attracted me to Shapeways over other services is the accessibility. As far as I've seen Shapeways is the fist to adopt such a public-friendly business model. Most other RP services operate on an individual job quote basis, but with Shapeways I can estimate how much a part will cost myself while it's still vaporware. That is a HUGE advantage for a customer. An upload scheme similar to that of a photo hosting site and a forum where customers and company reps can interact on a casual level are similarly huge.

I guess what I'm tying to say is that IMO a good web based business is more than just a brochure with an email address. Otherwise it's just a glorified form of old school magazine ad mail order. Shapeways is the first RP firm to realize that, and IMO they should be rewarded for it. Thumbs Up

I've been working on a couple bits in Sketchup, and hopefully will have something printable & ordered within a month or so. Eventually I'll probably switch to Blender or Wings3D: Sketchup is very intuitive, but not always very efficient (of course some of that may be lack of know-how on my part Embarassed ).
Re: Hi! [message #8471 is a reply to message #8439 ] Mon, 21 December 2009 13:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Welcome Mike, where you from?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hi! [message #8490 is a reply to message #8471 ] Tue, 22 December 2009 07:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mnpazan  is currently offline mnpazan
Go to all my models
San Diego, in the US.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 December 2009 07:14 UTC]

Re: Hi! [message #8496 is a reply to message #8439 ] Tue, 22 December 2009 15:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ah I'm mike from Maryland US

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Hello from Orlando, FL!
Next Topic:Hey everyone

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.