Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81393] Mon, 16 December 2013 19:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar Hobbes010  is currently offline Hobbes010
Go to my shop
I'm working on some small parts, and I noticed a difference between what the part looked like in my CAD application/Netfabb, and the rendering that was generated when I uploaded the part.
'Part in Netfabb' shows what I've designed. The surface is smooth:
index.php?t=getfile&id=47509&private=0

'Shapeways import' is a screenshot of the product upload page. Note the rough surface:
index.php?t=getfile&id=47510&private=0

Initially I thought it might be a problem with the STL export from Netfabb, but when I re-import the STL into Netfabb it still looks smooth. Same when I import the STL in Meshlab.

Stranger still, I've uploaded several versions of this part. Some are rendered smooth, others are rough, but I haven't changed any settings between uploads.

The uploaded part is here
I've attached the STL.

Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81399 is a reply to message #81393 ] Mon, 16 December 2013 20:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That is caused by the underlying technology in the new renderer.
As good/fast as the new renderer is, it will always have this "problem".

The new renderer uses "Voxels" instead of "Triangles" when building the image, and the image it builds is a bit lower resolution than your actual model is.

The full-resolution model will be sent to the printer, and you (should) not see such artifacts in the final print.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81401 is a reply to message #81399 ] Mon, 16 December 2013 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah, I see. I was worried that my STL was being converted after the upload, but if it's a display issue only I can live with it.
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81402 is a reply to message #81393 ] Mon, 16 December 2013 20:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
where is this screenshot from, the wallthickness visualization or the thumbnail? The wallthickness viz is voxelized. Your model is not and so the thumbnail we render should not show those artifacts.

Director 3D Tools
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81440 is a reply to message #81402 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 06:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The screenshot is from the rotatable/zoomable model on the 'Edit Model' page.
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81449 is a reply to message #81402 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 09:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
AlanHudson wrote on Mon, 16 December 2013 20:41

where is this screenshot from, the wallthickness visualization or the thumbnail? The wallthickness viz is voxelized. Your model is not and so the thumbnail we render should not show those artifacts.

Alan, we didn't launch the wallthickness visualization yet ;)

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81450 is a reply to message #81449 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 10:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

Alan, we didn't launch the wallthickness visualization yet ;)

But it's good...

I believe stony is correct, that the 'Edit Model' voxel issue (whatever they are!) is the cause. I would be very surprised if the yet to be released wall thickness visualisation image and the 'Edit Model' view were not based on the same tech.

My experience is that the boring old shop renders (static and 3d) give pretty good indications of what will be printed. Of course you have to take into account the size of the model and the resolution of the printer, but that being said, these images work for me.
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81451 is a reply to message #81450 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 10:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Yes it is :-)

[Updated on: Tue, 17 December 2013 10:45 UTC]

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81455 is a reply to message #81393 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 13:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@Hobbes010: One unrelated question: what browser are you using? I seem to be unable to zoom in that close to my models when using that 3d viewer.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81456 is a reply to message #81455 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 13:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

One unrelated question: what browser are you using? I seem to be unable to zoom in that close to my models when using that 3d viewer.

For myself, I use Chrome and I can zoom in super-close.
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81458 is a reply to message #81455 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm using Firefox. Zooming only works on the 'Edit Model' page. If you're on the shop page, you can't zoom.
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81468 is a reply to message #81458 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
That are Lighting artifacts.
Normally the most renderes smooth the surface using interpolate normals.
Shapeways rederer do this not. This has a reason:
If the rederer would smooth the round objects, the costumer do not see on the preview, what he really gets.
The rendering looks smooth but the object is very lowpoly and faceted.
This problem you have is has other models to.
http://shpws.me/oN1W
Yo can see it on the knob. Your model is extreme. It do not affect the printing it just looks ugly.
At the moment i have tot full understand witch causes the problem or how to avoid it. :(
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81510 is a reply to message #81468 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 21:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I would be very much surprised if Netfabb did this. The model as shown in Netfabb matches my design exactly, there are no extra surfaces compared to my original CAD model.
A low-resolution rendering would explain the difference, basically you get rounding errors in the position of each pixel.
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81533 is a reply to message #81468 ] Wed, 18 December 2013 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That's a remeshing of the original mesh, not just lighting artifacts. He shows a different face layout in the green renders, with lighting artifacts that don't match the grey ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_cubes
Re: Shapeways' rendering of an uploaded part does not match my design [message #81589 is a reply to message #81533 ] Wed, 18 December 2013 13:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
Quote:

He shows a different face layout in the green renders, with lighting artifacts that don't match the grey ones.

? There is not realy a face layout in the green redering visible.
If I download the STL an view the mesh I find the characteristics of the mesh in both images.

anyway the conclusion is, these are ugly artifacts an not affecting the print.

Previous Topic:Netmining cookie causes "Only secure content is shown" message
Next Topic:Markups have not been paid dec 15th?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.