Home » Community » It arrived! » Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #81290] Sat, 14 December 2013 17:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar ChipMatthews  is currently offline ChipMatthews
Go to my shop
I've been doing 3D and computer graphics for 20 years and this is the first time I've ever been able to hold one of my creations in my hand. It's a real thrill for me, and the Shapeways gang did a terrific job of bringing it to life. I sculpted this in 3D-Coat and then sized it and did the final export from 3ds Max. Since this was my first experiment with 3D printing, I ordered a variety of materials to be able to get a better sense of the capabilities of the various printing methods. The results exceeded my expectations. Here's the pics I did of them.

First up is raw brass and raw silver. I'm amazed by how much of the detail was retained - even the subtle bark texture.

http://i.imgur.com/3ayH4an.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wy0S2Ys.jpg

Here's polished nickel steel. A lot of the detail is lost but for this design the finish looks pretty cool, especially from a distance.

http://i.imgur.com/g1Sy1t1.jpg

Finally, here's white detail plastic. The loop for the chain didn't print so I decided to antique it and make it into a pin.

http://i.imgur.com/mJWYnAK.jpg

Here's the plastic one after I antiqued it.

http://i.imgur.com/ZpNSyK6.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 14 December 2013 17:54 UTC]

Re: Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #81295 is a reply to message #81290 ] Sat, 14 December 2013 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar seriaforma  is currently offline seriaforma
Go to my shop
Very nice. I love seeing the material comparison. What did you use to antique the WSF?
Re: Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #81297 is a reply to message #81295 ] Sat, 14 December 2013 18:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
To do the antiquing I first did a coat of gold metallic spray paint. When that was dry I made a mix of black and brown acrylic paint and water. That was brushed on small sections and then wiped back off with a paper towel so that only a bit is left behind in the crevices. When that was dry I sprayed a clear protective coat over top.
Re: Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #81383 is a reply to message #81295 ] Mon, 16 December 2013 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
seriaforma wrote on Sat, 14 December 2013 18:24

Very nice. I love seeing the material comparison. What did you use to antique the WSF?

By the post it's White detail not WSF. Just don't want false impressions of materials.

Beautiful all the way around. Great work!

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #81394 is a reply to message #81383 ] Mon, 16 December 2013 19:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the kind words. You're right. It's white detail, not WSF. Next time I do an order I'll try a WSF print for comparison and add another pic.
Re: Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #81431 is a reply to message #81290 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 04:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar EricHo  is currently offline EricHo
Go to my shop
I work here
These are amazing Chip. Love the details on the tree. Will definitely make a social media post on this.

Social Media Manager | Shapeways
Re: Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #81478 is a reply to message #81431 ] Tue, 17 December 2013 16:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, Eric!
Re: Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #81628 is a reply to message #81478 ] Wed, 18 December 2013 21:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
This was your first 3D model! I'm super impressed. Keep it up and continue to add products to your shop, you've got the touch!

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager
Re: Tree Pendant - My Very First 3D Printed Creation [message #82639 is a reply to message #81628 ] Mon, 06 January 2014 14:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jeewel  is currently offline Jeewel
Go to my shop
Very nice!

Previous Topic:My cat in full color sandstone
Next Topic:Dice for extended Rock-paper-scissors (D10/D5)