Suggestion for price/markup setting

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by spudmonkey, Dec 10, 2009.

1. spudmonkey
    spudmonkey Member
    I had a very quick scan of the forum and couldn't spot this, so I thought I would ask

Currently when you set the price for an item it is shown as the base cost and you specify the markup. This is fine, but if you want to set a specific amount for the actual cost to the customer then it can be tricky setting exactly the right markup for that specific price

Most real world shops would set an item's price to $x.99 but doing that through adding a markup involves painful experimentation at times, and sometimes simply isn't possible as you are always 1c either side of the desired amount

Would it be possible to change the UI so that you enter the sale price and the markup and tax are calculated from that instead of the current method? It would make price setting a lot easier

Thanks!

Nick

2. spudmonkey
    spudmonkey Member
    Guess it's just me then.... Ho-hum!

3. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi spudmonkey,

nope it is probably not just you.
    As has been pointed out the markup is included in:
    P = (1.5. + 1.5V +M) * 1.19 in the EU outside it is
    P = (1.5. + 1.5V + M)
    So setting prices already depends on the location of your customer.

Especially the 1.19 tax can be a tricky one to get right.
    We will add your request to our list of improvements.

regards,
    Peter

4. spudmonkey
    spudmonkey Member
  5. euphy
    euphy Member
    I think this is a really good idea too. Another approach might be to supply a link to a simple calculator that would work out what the markup should be to get a certain retail price. That would avoid having to change the UI. Wouldn't help with the 1c either side problem though.

6. JaZilla
    JaZilla Member
    Is there a way to set mark-ups automatically across the whole shop? I usually set a percentage at other POD sites and that seems to work very well. Since it would automatically be set at an amount other than $0.00 when you add a design there'd be no problem with new materials causing zero mark-up items to appear.

7. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    This would be a great thing. In my shop everything is $x.99 but with over 300 models it is painstakingly tedious job to update prices since I have to go through each individual material and changing the markup for each material.

A CSV import export option would let you set your prices up via formula in excel and then import instead of manually doing. I.E. I could set the price of wsf TO

Code:
    Assuming column a contains volume
    if($a1<4,9.99-(1.5+$a1*1.5), ... )

... would handle cases where a models volume was greater then 4cc. This would automatically set the price of all models to $9.99 without shapeways having to compute the formula themselves. Though being able to type in excel formulas for default pricing would be cool. I doubt shapeways programmers are up to the task.

8. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    This was one of the few good features of the new interface that was trialled by JL recently. I think we can expect to see it in a future update.