Home » Community » It arrived! » Cubic Trisection by OSKAR
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Cubic Trisection by OSKAR [message #80718] Sat, 07 December 2013 12:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar Oskar_van_Deventer  is currently offline Oskar_van_Deventer
Go to my shop
Hi Shapeways fans,

Cubic Trisection was first shown to George Miller by Robert Reid as part of his box of all the ways a cube could be trisected by three equal parts. They were all paper models that were rectilinear with the exception of this beautiful little curved trisection. George was intrigued by it and finally made one when he got a 3D printer. George asked Oskar van Deventer to design it. He printed it in green, red and yellow as per Oskar's love of children's colors. It came out great. George have since purchased a new 3d printer which does not yet have the color green. At the request of one of George's English customers, he had changed the colors to red, white, and blue. The new colors are brilliant. Most people have a difficult time putting it together. They usually try and force the pieces to "snap" together, whereas they easily glide together when twisted along the main diagonal. George later learned that the magnificent Dutch artist, Rinus Roelof, had also come up with a similar trisection all in silver.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
Read more at the Non-Twisty Puzzles Forum.
Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
index.php?t=getfile&id=46791&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=46792&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=46793&private=0

Re: Cubic Trisection by OSKAR [message #80973 is a reply to message #80718 ] Tue, 10 December 2013 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kreator  is currently offline kreator
Go to all my models
That's great !

I would like one ...
Re: Cubic Trisection by OSKAR [message #80976 is a reply to message #80973 ] Tue, 10 December 2013 16:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hum... they're expensive :(

Could you make them hollow to lower the price ?

With a hole on the curved surface, it will be hidden when assembled.
Re: Cubic Trisection by OSKAR [message #81026 is a reply to message #80976 ] Wed, 11 December 2013 08:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This puzzle is already as hollow as can be. Try and order a solid 60x60x60 mm cube from Shapeways and notice the major difference. However, I cannot make the surfaces too thin as the puzzle then would feel squoosy.

Oskar
Re: Cubic Trisection by OSKAR [message #81115 is a reply to message #81026 ] Thu, 12 December 2013 09:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you for the information.
Oskar_van_Deventer wrote on Wed, 11 December 2013 08:48

However, I cannot make the surfaces too thin as the puzzle then would feel squoosy.

Maybe this can be done anyway, and let the owner fills in the parts with some cheap material that will harden in place.

Just warn the buyer there's some extra work to do and suggest a filler material. I'm thinking of spackling, plaster or fuse glue.
Re: Cubic Trisection by OSKAR [message #81143 is a reply to message #81115 ] Thu, 12 December 2013 19:51 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Please contact me privately, if you want me to create a special version of this puzzle for you.

Thank you.

Oskar

Previous Topic:"dome" mug
Next Topic:3D Yoga Design Studio