Home » Support » 3D Applications » Blender to Netfabb: Netfabb mirrored models error
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Blender to Netfabb: Netfabb mirrored models error [message #80709] Sat, 07 December 2013 03:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar bullotsky  is currently offline bullotsky
Go to all my models
Hi there,

If I just export an unmirrored version of my model, Netfabb gives it a green bill of health. When I mirror half of the model it then does not. I've applied my scale and rotations on my model and then I mirrored it and applied my scale and rotations once again. When exported to Netfabb, for some reason Netfabb shows the mirrored portion as completely red. I have to right click and use Invert Selection. When I do that, then the left model is all red. Upon analysis it says that it has a negative volume.

Can I seriously not mirror my own model in Blender? Does it matter when it comes to Shapeways?

Thanks,

Bull
Re: Blender to Netfabb: Netfabb mirrored models error [message #80710 is a reply to message #80709 ] Sat, 07 December 2013 04:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Have you tried recalculating the normals in Blender? Also enable the show normals for faces, if you see lot of small segments poking out, the zone is right, if they are missing, that face has the normal flipped.
Re: Blender to Netfabb: Netfabb mirrored models error [message #80711 is a reply to message #80709 ] Sat, 07 December 2013 04:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bullotsky  is currently offline bullotsky
Go to all my models
Aha! I did read that an all red model on the website was because of normals. I was being hardheaded and didn't realize mirroring also mirrors normals. Weird.

Thanks!

Previous Topic:Convert 3D PDF to IGES or OBJ
Next Topic:Create a human face from pictures with software, advice needed

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.