Home » Support » 3D Applications » Printing objects with holes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing objects with holes [message #80527] Wed, 04 December 2013 18:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar jsnapoli  is currently offline jsnapoli
Go to all my models
I'm trying to have a couple simple knick-knacks printed for friends for Christmas. I was wondering about the feasibility of printing an object with a hole in it as in the attached image.

The hole is 1/10 in. The tab is 1/4 of an inch high and the walls on either side of the hole are about .05 in wide. I'm basically trying to print a 1 in. tall earring.

Would the design work better if the tab at the top (currently 0.1 in deep) was the same depth as the main part (0.22 in)?

• Attachment: GB.jpg
    (Size: 37.87KB, Downloaded 54 time(s))

Re: Printing objects with holes [message #80532 is a reply to message #80527 ] Wed, 04 December 2013 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
What is the intended material? Look through our material guidelines, and most of the limitations are listed.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Printing objects with holes [message #80535 is a reply to message #80532 ] Wed, 04 December 2013 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jsnapoli  is currently offline jsnapoli
Go to all my models
Thanks for the quick response.

I plan to use the strong and flexible plastic. I don't think my model fails any of the material guidelines listed for the plastic. I'm just wondering if there's a way to create my model with no supports for the top extrusion. Would it be better to have it printed with no hole and try to drill it once I receive it? I'd like to know as well for anything I design in the future.
Re: Printing objects with holes [message #80548 is a reply to message #80535 ] Wed, 04 December 2013 22:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
If you are just worried about support for the loop - the printing process for the strong&flexible is different from the "FDM" method
used in home printers. The layers of un-fused powder within the hole act as the support material and are simply blown out afterwards.
(Watch the "how it works" video linked from the footer of the webpage, or one of the other shapeways videos on youtube)

Previous Topic:Shipping abroad
Next Topic:Blender to Netfabb curiosities with scale and normals