Home » Support » Bug Reporting » No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files. [message #79761] Mon, 25 November 2013 13:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
If I try to upload an X3D file or a file with the file Extension VRML there is no Unit selector before the Upload and he Takes inches as default.
Especially for X3D files it is very annoying always convert them to wrl before uploading.
Re: No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files. [message #79762 is a reply to message #79761 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 13:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
x3d files have the units specified within them, I believe. Check your program to make sure it is not exporting in inches.
I think x3d assumes meters for units.

Also sometimes SW makes a conversion if it thinks the object is too small. Check your model upload history to see if there are any messages from the upload. Something like this (also from an x3d upload):

v0: red and blue test cube (material colour).x3d - Uploaded on 25 Jul 2013 [Success] (rescaled during upload to current size)

It was 3.74 Blender Units long, which normally I would set to mm on upload. I think SW says "that's too big, he must have meant inches" and hence the model becomes 3.74 inches long.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2013 13:49 UTC]

Re: No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files. [message #79765 is a reply to message #79762 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 13:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Quote:

x3d files have the units specified within them, I believe. Check your program to make sure it is not exporting in inches.

As fare as I know x3d has no Units. Or noboddy use them.
There was no size definition in the the x3d-Source (Blender export).

Quote:

Also sometimes SW makes a conversion if it thinks the object is too small. Check your model upload history to see if there are any messages from the upload. Something like this (also from an x3d upload):

I know. But wen I Upload the Same file convertet to wrl everything is OK.

edit:
Quote:

I think x3d assumes meters for units.

Mayby but noboddy Cares ... Wink.
Serious meter would be ok, but Shapways uploads the file in Inches.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2013 13:55 UTC]

Re: No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files. [message #79767 is a reply to message #79765 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 14:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If you know what the problem is already why don't you just fix it?

If you set the scale in Blender it will work ok and if you scale your models down it will also work...
Re: No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files. [message #79768 is a reply to message #79767 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 14:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Because I thing it is a Bug that there is no Unit selector, and soman can sometime fix it .

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2013 14:09 UTC]

Re: No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files. [message #79823 is a reply to message #79768 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 01:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Also it would be nice to be able to change units after uploading, it would require less resources. Or in general, any scaling not just unit change. It helps with issues like assuming what the real size is, or with formats in which you lose precission because the units are not the best for the purpose of 3D printing (classics are wrl or sketchup targeting big dimensions).
Re: No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files. [message #79845 is a reply to message #79823 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 11:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You're right - this is confusing. I'll add the following two suggestions to our community tracker:

- add unit size selector for X3D and VRML uploads
- allow user to change unit size after uploading

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: No unit selector when uploading .X3D or VRML files. [message #79846 is a reply to message #79845 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 12:13 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thx Smile

Previous Topic:Chrome blocks script on model display page
Next Topic:2D -> 3D image problem

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.