Ceramic details

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by draw, Nov 13, 2013.

1. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    The subject of ceramic rules came up in the last ceramic contest thread so I thought I'd seek more enlightenment on the subject. I've tried to be careful about the 2mm radius rule or approximate it when possible. I've only begun to dabble in ceramics and so far no problems having things made but I'd like to add some text and other features to designs to be made as customized presents. Some designs like this are very rounded so they must be very rule compliant:

[​IMG]

Others like this, which is a great example of text on ceramics, appears to have no rounding on text or where it meets a surface:

[​IMG]
    http://shpws.me/pac8

Am I being overly paranoid about that 2mm rule? When does it apply?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    No experience with ceramics yet, but I'd be wary of "examples" that show only computer-generated images of the object and no indication that it has ever been printed.

3. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Both of those items are included in the gift guide. Is it wrong to assume they have both been printed?

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Keep an eye on the Blog, we'll be clearing up all guidelines soon. I'll see if I can get a refined answer for the radius question

And yes, even though those are renders, that cup has been successfully printed (I was shocked to learn this as well)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  5. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    I've been playing around with cups and bowls that are variation on this theme.

[​IMG]

I should be safe with any seams or edges in those designs. Adding text is the only mystery issue. Are there any online tools out there for automatically rounding edges of models? Maybe something with a model surface smoother-type algorithm? That would be great for all kinds of models and not just ceramic designs.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    What software are you using now?

Issue I see with your design, is looks like it has little feet? so you have long unsupported (from underneath) spans. Spans of more than 20mm will be rejected, I myself was bitten by this recently.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  7. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    I wasn't sure about the support feet. Seemed ok to me since the base above them could be self-supporting. Anyway easy to add more feet. Put them in because I didn't want the bottom rim to be unglazed. My shakers ended up unglazed on the bottoms so I might design some plastic bases for them so the table doesn't get scratched.

Did these in Tinkercad and that means no tool kit. I could export it to another package if I had one. It would be convenient to run stl files through something like one of the creators but where you can selectably adjust the rounding or surface averaging on an uploaded design in one shot.

8. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    OK, I thought I'd take ten steps backwards. This design has rings on the bottom, under the assumption that any long span of the bottom of the cup would also be a problem. I might even remove the rings and inset a flat bottom instead to cut material. The cup is also stretched a bit so it can hold more liquid volume. It ended up a bit pricey (more than double of previous designs) but may make a nice present for the right friend or family member, but first I need to make my list and check it twice to see who was naughty and who was naughtier.

[​IMG]

http://shpws.me/pPlE

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Here's a recent design of mine. Having the feet isn't a bad idea, my little feet even came out mostly glazed, they're just a little rough. Same reasoning as yours, I wanted the bottom to be glazed, especially the center hole where delicious coffee comes through.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013