Polygon Count Wrong

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by 29780_deleted, Dec 1, 2009.

1. 29780_deleted
    29780_deleted Member
    Hi! I was really excited when I found this website, and I'm trying to print my first order. It is a dog head, with a polygon count of 450,000. Most of the polygons are quads, and if I export to STL, then it triangulates them. So I am exporting to X3D instead, because it retains the quads. The problem is, when I upload it, it says the polygon count is above the limit, when it's 450,000. Does the checker count quads as two polygons(triangles) or does it count a quad as one polygon?

The attached file is the .x3d that I am trying to upload.

Thanks for helping me solve this problem.

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I believe I've seen that people using .x3D have issues with anything over 50,000 polygons.

3. 29780_deleted
    29780_deleted Member
    I've done some more researching, and it seems that Shapeways automatically converts everything to triangles before any checks. So It seems that I should get meshlab and try to reduce the amount of polygons.

I would like to keep this amount of detail, so if anybody can confirm or deny this before I reduce the number of polygons, that would be great.

4. iguffick
    iguffick Member
    I loaded your X3D file into MeshLab, it shows 450,669 vertices and 901,342 faces !
    I have done a 'Quadratic edge collapse decimation' to reduce the number of faces in your model and attached the file.
    This reduces the count to 56,331 vertices and 112,666 faces.

You may want to look at the model yourself to make sure it is still what you want, but it looks fine to me. Far more detail than I think you'll get out of the 3D print.

I tried uploading and it worked fine, shows the bounding box as 5.9cm x 4.7cm x 5.0cm and priced at $27.95.

I've saved it as an STL file. When using Blender I have had problems with X3D files with more than 50K polys. I don't know if it's the Blender exporter, Shapeways importer or something I've done wrong, but STLs seem to work when X3Ds don't !

Regards, Ian.

Attached Files:

5. 29780_deleted
    29780_deleted Member
    Thank you so much Ian! I was able to upload it, and it's now ready to print. I'm really grateful, because I was getting extremely frustrated with it. I should be able to do my next file myself now that I've learned from my mistakes with this one. Thanks again!