The Laboratory - Tie Bars!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Dr_B, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Dr_B
    Dr_B Member
    Hi all! I've been a long-time Shapie and I'd very much like to announce the opening of my new shop! I'm launching The Laboratory with five unique and awesome tie bars with many more to come!

[​IMG]

A little about me, I'm a medical student. Generally, this means stress (and fun!). To de-stress, I love to sit down and create things. 3D modeling has been my outlet for many years now, with and without Shapeways. However, I much prefer to model items for Shapeways now. It's incredible to me that I can sit down at my computer with an idea and turn that idea into something I can hold in my hand.

[​IMG]

My inspiration tends to come from what I know: medicine, science, nature/biology, and technology. But, I'm a long-time geek so expect to see some geek-chic peppered in there too. The designs I currently have on the go (on paper at least) mostly run under the medicine/science banner but there are sure to be more as I work through the 22 tie bars I have sketched out; I also have a couple cool co-creator ideas that I'm really excited about. I would like to post a new item every week. Normally, I don't think that will be a problem but I have end-of-year exams in three weeks so I'm going to be pretty tight on time :) I'll certainly be able to do so during December/January as I'm off school for two months.

[​IMG]

I really hope you folks like what I'm doing here. Please let me know what you think and tell your friends! I'm very much open to suggestions, ideas, comments, criticism, etc :) You can't grow if you don't listen.

[​IMG]

Finally, a big thanks to Shapeways and the rest of you for being such an inspiring community! It's a special thing to have a company that cares so much for those who use their service and, perhaps even more special, to have a design community that wholeheartedly support and nutures those in its midst.

Have a wonderful day, night, afternoon, or whenever your reading this.

Cheers,

- Dr_B

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    How about adding a few pictures of your models (prints, not renders) to your message if you want to get us interested ? :)
    (I see you also tried this in "Feature this" - if you check the guidelines for that forum, it would seem to help if you had some background story to, again, go with the pictures. (Majority of your items seems to be medically themed - are you an MD or EMT ?)

3. Dr_B
    Dr_B Member
    You are absolutely right! I guess I was just a little too excited to get it out there :) I'll edit the post and change it up. Thanks mkroeker! Oh, and I'm a medical student :)

4. Dr_B
    Dr_B Member
    There. Much better. Now it doesn't look like it was written by an excited pre-teen at a Jusin Bieber concert :p I really have to remind myself to slow down sometimes.

And, @mkroeker, I really like your molecular models. I'm thinking to incorporating some molecular stuff into a couple tie bar and cufflink sets in the near-ish future. Does PhD chemist by night mean you're working on your PhD? If so, what in? You've piked my curiosity :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Much better now :D
    (You could develop your sine/cosine curve into some more fancy waveform for the (nmr) spectroscopy buffs)

And no, that was ages ago - luckily I did computational work (at a simplistic level of theory that one would only use for big proteins nowadays) and a bit of crystallography so it was/is relatively easy to stay current without running my own laboratory. (And I have kind of permanent guest status in a university research lab in exchange for doing the wash up and grocery shopping on weekends :) )

6. Dr_B
    Dr_B Member
    Cool. Yea, that's a great idea :)

7. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Some nice designs there. I'm surprised the blade on that scalpel printed; it looks really thin.

Good luck with your studies.

8. Dr_B
    Dr_B Member
    Thank you :) Yea, I was a little worried about it when I put in the order but it's supported by a bit of thicker piece that's connected to the neck so it worked out.

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey by the way, did you know that all students and teachers can apply for a 10% discount on all their purchases? Just use your school email address in your Shapeways account and activate it at https://www.shapeways.com/education.

If your school is not on our whitelist yet, I'll verify your account and then add you.

Enjoy!

Bart

10. Dr_B
    Dr_B Member
    I did not know that but that's amazing :) Thank you very much for letting me know!