Home » Support » 3D Applications » New to 3d design
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  New to 3d design [message #342] Fri, 25 July 2008 13:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar InstantKarma  is currently offline InstantKarma
Go to all my models
Just wondering if there were any recommendations for a newbie friendly open source( read FREE) 3d modeling software?

Thanks in advance,

InstantKarma

[Updated on: Fri, 25 July 2008 13:29 UTC]

Re: New to 3d design [message #344 is a reply to message #342 ] Fri, 25 July 2008 13:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi,

why don't you have a look at TopMod3D ?
It produces surprising results and is not so difficult to master.
http://www.topmod3d.org/
We have some examples on the gallery.

regards,
Peter
Re: New to 3d design [message #348 is a reply to message #344 ] Fri, 25 July 2008 14:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I will give it a try this weekend.

Thanks!

Re: New to 3d design [message #545 is a reply to message #348 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 00:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HD render man  is currently offline HD render man
Go to all my models
you could try wings 3d

or blender www.blender.org

although both very capable apps you will probly be able to get to gips with them with in 2 weeks or so
Razz
Re: New to 3d design [message #565 is a reply to message #545 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 12:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wildsketch  is currently offline Wildsketch
Go to all my models
I can also recommend Wings 3D. I haven't tried Blender, it has a good reputation, but when you want to focus on modeling Wings 3D has almost everything the pro packages have, and it is very intuitive.
Re: New to 3d design [message #568 is a reply to message #565 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 12:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar zapwow  is currently offline zapwow
Go to all my models
I love using blender, but it is definitely not newbie-friendly. Years in, I'm still not sure how to use most of the interface.
Re: New to 3d design [message #587 is a reply to message #568 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 21:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HD render man  is currently offline HD render man
Go to all my models
i'd agree that blender takes quite a long time to master however that should not put a begginer off, as getting use to its modeling system alone could be done in 1-2 weeks.
Re: New to 3d design [message #804 is a reply to message #342 ] Sun, 10 August 2008 21:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar drago3711  is currently offline drago3711
Go to all my models
yeah, I recommend Blender 3d with all of my heart. Blender.org has links to all the support and info that you need to learn blender in a hurry.

A lot of people complain about blenders interface, but that is normally because it is a great deal different than other 3d programs and its difficult to switch. Since this is your first look into the area you wont have any bad habits and it shouldn't be a problem Grin
Re: New to 3d design [message #840 is a reply to message #804 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 02:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
Well there is a mess of programs that you can use to model, some of those include the following:
Gmax
Blender
Wings3d
CAD(FREECAD)
Milkshape
anim8tor
SketchUp
Maya(pain in the but for newbies)
ARTOFILLUSION

Whiles i have not use all of these i have tried Maya, Gmax, Blender, Wings3d, and Milkshape. But i would reccomend Blender or Gmax, both are versatile, Blender has a sharper learning curve than Gmax but has more features(or did, havent used Gmax in a while). Gmax has a easy to understand and use interface providing most of the tools a ammature modeler will use.
Re: New to 3d design [message #858 is a reply to message #840 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 18:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I think I am going to start out on Blender and go from there.

I think the key will be finding some good tutorials....but I figure google knows where those are!

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Re: New to 3d design [message #859 is a reply to message #858 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 20:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar andre.bois  is currently offline andre.bois
Go to my shop
Start with the official ones :
http://www.blender.org/education-help/

I find the video tutorials as sometimes too slow, but very effective to see and learn how to really work with Blender.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 August 2008 20:37 UTC]

Re: New to 3d design [message #5024 is a reply to message #342 ] Thu, 25 June 2009 04:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar sakeynes  is currently offline sakeynes
Go to all my models
Hi All,
I've got a similar problem to the original question here, in that I don't have a 3D CAD program.
However, I am quite familiar with Solidworks (and also solidedge), but I have no hope of getting that on my home PC due to costs.
Which of the options listed above would be closest to that style of 3D solid modelling?
Tried google sketchup but I am very frustrated with it - very different philospohy compared to a true 3D solid modeller.
Help would be greatly appreciated. I've got so many things to build!
Thanks in advance
Stu

Previous Topic:inverted normals poser
Next Topic:Blender and Character Eyes