Silver Casting

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by 7958_deleted, Nov 27, 2009.

1. 7958_deleted
    7958_deleted Member
    IT WORKED!!! :eek:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zorink/sets/72157622763166701/

I wasn't sure if WSF would burn out well, but it worked great. They still need some work, but here are some pics of casting and how they turned out. I'll post pics when I get around to finishing them (college finals are coming up)

I used some really old silver because I wasn't sure if it would work, so the finish directly from casting is kind of nasty, but you can see how well it worked. Some polishing should fix it up nice.

DSC09297smaller.JPG

2. __DF__
    __DF__ Member
    Very interesting Zorink!

To tell you the truth, I was thinking of doing the same thing, by giving the WSF (White Stong and Flexible... am I right?) material to a foundry.

Do you think it will work?

Again, great work!

3. 7958_deleted
    7958_deleted Member
    It worked very well, I just had to burn out the molds hotter and longer than usual. Investment casting typically uses a special wax that is meant to burn out cleanly, so you really have to crank up the oven on the WSF for a good mold. Just be aware that your casting will have the same texture as the WSF (you can see it in my pic) and will take quite a bit of work if you want your final model to be smooth metal.

4. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi guys,

for now, why don't you use the details materials (black or white)?
    They burn easier and are much smoother than WS&F.

regards,
    Peter

PS: Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. The fumes aren't exactly healthy!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  5. 7958_deleted
    7958_deleted Member
    Thanks for the tip - Now I have to go buy some more models!

6. __DF__
    __DF__ Member
    Thanx fot the tip Pete. It is my next step too... :)

7. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Bumping this since I'd like to know if anyone had success using either of the Detail materials?

Glenn

8. __DF__
    __DF__ Member
    My WS&F is already produced by a foundry to test. Haven't seen it yet, but as the person said, this is a small loss.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
  10. fix8ion
    fix8ion Member
    Wow. that's fantastic. good to know, good to know.

11. 46473_deleted
    46473_deleted Member
    Hi, Pete

Do you know if transparent detail works the same as black detail and white detail materials?