Home »  » 3D Design » "Smooth" Feature in Blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
"Smooth" Feature in Blender [message #7925] Fri, 27 November 2009 12:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar BattlegroundToys  is currently offline BattlegroundToys
Go to my shop
I have some models that have tubes and it's pretty easy to make them much more round and smooth by applying the smooth filter in Blender.

Mesh | Faces | Set Smooth

Is the Smooth feature just a visual treatment or will it actually print out that way? I ask because in object mode and when rendered it looks great, but when editing it is has the same number of faces as it did before the Smooth filter was applied.

Thanks Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 27 November 2009 12:40 UTC]

Re: "Smooth" Feature in Blender [message #7927 is a reply to message #7925 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 16:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar andre.bois  is currently offline andre.bois
Go to my shop
Indeed, this smooth only does "normal interpolation" and do not change the actual 3D shape. To have a better visual feel of the 3D printed result, only "Set Solid" should be set, and "Auto Smooth" disabled too (only applied during rendering anyway).

For real 3D smoothing, apply the SubSurf modifier : http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Modelling/Meshe s/Subdivision_Surfaces

[Updated on: Fri, 27 November 2009 16:05 UTC]

Previous Topic:Is there a way to merge Collada files together?
Next Topic:Another Manifold Error

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.