What's an earring after all?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 130221_deleted, Oct 25, 2013.

1. The specs for silver say that multiple parts per file are not possible - with the exception of cufflinks and earrings.
    Tis begs the question: When does a model qualify as (a pair of) cufflinks or earrings?
    Are the two pieces merely (?) required to be identical or mirror symmetric?
    Must hooks or eyelets for hooks be visible?
    Or should the name hint to this purpose?

Actually I am planning on not using hooks, but to print something that can be glued to these guys:
    http://www.amazon.de/11x4mm-Ohrstecker-Versilbert-Rohling-Oh rschmuck/dp/B00C0NKKM8/ref=sr_1_1
    That would formally make it erarpins, not earrings - and who could tell they are not something else?

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Perhaps you are over-complicating this. Put two of what you want to print in a file, upload it to SW and see if they'll print them. I do not think they need to be symmetrical or copies of each other, but I could be wrong.

For what it's worth, in my opinion if you are going to attach those pins (posts) to them they are definitely earrings. Perhaps it is a linguistic thing - in English an earring can have many different ways of attaching to the ear (a clip, a screw clamp or by a pierced hook or post), but we call them all earrings.

Perhaps to be safe, put earring in the title somewhere....

Hope this helps!