Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7903] Thu, 26 November 2009 17:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months?

And why?
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7904 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 26 November 2009 18:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
Wax for lost wax casting, please

also, something strong and translucent for lamp shades
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7905 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 26 November 2009 21:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kyson  is currently offline kyson
Go to all my models
Do you have anything we can make ashtrays out of? Obviously heat resistant non deforming. If so, what colours??????

THANKS SHAPEWAYS
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7906 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 26 November 2009 21:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
Black, strong and flexible! It would be very convenient if I could just order the parts already dyed black instead of doing it at home, and I think many of my customers would agree. Twisty puzzles just look so much better in black.

Have you looked into mass finishing for the SF material? Would it be very expensive to offer tumble finishing?

[Updated on: Thu, 26 November 2009 21:36 UTC]

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7907 is a reply to message #7904 ] Thu, 26 November 2009 21:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chris3d  is currently offline chris3d
Go to all my models
I would love to see sterling silver again if the process can be perfected.
Ideally jewellery-quality silver so that we can make skin-friendly pieces.

Maybe Aluminium? It might be cheaper than stainless steel and very easy to polish up.

RTV Silicone rubber or any Silicone would also be really cool for jewellers and other makers as you could get one RTV mould made by Shapeways and use that to make:
1: pewter casts - you can melt pewter on your stove at home - polishes easily
2: wax copies for lost wax silver/gold casting.
3: resin casts - including water clear resin - very cheap

I really love what Shapeways are doing - It keeps improving!

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7908 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 26 November 2009 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ant.j.green@gmail.com  is currently offline ant.j.green@gmail.com
Go to all my models
Hi. Elastomer materials at shapeways prices!
This would be helpful for prototyping diaphragms and gaskets. I think this can be done on the Objet printers, and the material is known as TangoPlus / TangoBlack etc

Also Transparent material - SLA? "transparent detail" is no good for optical applications.

As an aside, it would be helpful to show the process next to the material description. Eg "White strong and felxible (SLS)" or "Cream Robust (FDM)"
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7909 is a reply to message #7906 ] Thu, 26 November 2009 21:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Venksta  is currently offline Venksta
Go to my shop
TomZ wrote on Thu, 26 November 2009 21:26

Black, strong and flexible! It would be very convenient if I could just order the parts already dyed black instead of doing it at home, and I think many of my customers would agree. Twisty puzzles just look so much better in black.

Have you looked into mass finishing for the SF material? Would it be very expensive to offer tumble finishing?

I would like to see this type of material as well. Very Happy
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7911 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 26 November 2009 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rjlang  is currently offline rjlang
Go to all my models
Two requests for materials:

(1) Bronze. (Bronze infused stainless would be OK, as long as the bronze forms the surface.)

(2) Reduce minimum wall thickness for stainless, so that finer detail can be made.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7912 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 26 November 2009 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ushanka  is currently offline Ushanka
Go to my shop
Wax!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7916 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 00:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar renegourley  is currently offline renegourley
Go to my shop
I would love to see a material with the minimum wall thickness of WSF with the detail and smoothness of White Detail. In fact, I would really love to see minimum wall thicknesses come down in general.

Oh the places I would go if you could print to say .5 mm!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7917 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 02:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Brass. Jewelry is a huge hit on SW. We need a golden material. Gold is out of the question. Brass is it.

Ceramic. I want to print out radiolarians, some of the finest 3D designs ever not designed, and a white ceramic would probably have other takers as well. How many gift shops are filled with bone-white gorgeous sculptures? We should be competing there.

Wood. Preferably teak, but I would settle for a nice old-growth oak. Wink

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7918 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 02:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tanix  is currently offline tanix
Go to all my models
Anything with higher detail... wax is probably the most likely choice.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7922 is a reply to message #7917 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 07:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
David,

Was tocuhed by "We should be competing there."
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7924 is a reply to message #7922 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 12:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chris89  is currently offline chris89
Go to my shop
something that can print multiple colors on a model directly would be handy.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7934 is a reply to message #7903 ] Sat, 28 November 2009 00:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PaulSep  is currently offline PaulSep
Go to all my models
the highest copper content possible would be ideal.
otherwise wax would work
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7948 is a reply to message #7903 ] Sun, 29 November 2009 00:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fil47  is currently offline fil47
Go to all my models
glass would be really nice... eco-friendly (except for process) and compatible with diner-wear, jewelery.. plus it should be quite cheap.. (it already exists, I saw it done in a US university but can't remember which one...

any material with a very fine grade, basically which would look like a polymer cast...

keep up the good work !!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7963 is a reply to message #7903 ] Sun, 29 November 2009 20:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar iguffick  is currently offline iguffick
Go to all my models
I'd love to see an SLS powder mixed with aluminium or carbon, providing it does not significantly increase the price (for me personally, double would be ok!).
Also known as Alumide or Carbonide.

The aluminium mixture gives a dull metallic finish that has the look of aluminium but is much lighter. It can be finished by grinding or polishing. Unlike standard SLS the resulting object should be non-porous, which leads to uses for liquid containers etc.

The carbon mixture gives a black smooth surface finish, ideal for all those twisty puzzles! It is also MUCH more resilient to wear, so it makes better surfaces for bushes and other moving parts.

I'm not sure if either of these materials are easier to electroplate for other metallic surface finishes ?
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #7968 is a reply to message #7963 ] Mon, 30 November 2009 01:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
iguffick wrote on Sun, 29 November 2009 20:12

I'd love to see an SLS powder mixed with aluminium or carbon, providing it does not significantly increase the price (for me personally, double would be ok!).
Also known as Alumide or Carbonide.

These materials are actually cheaper thanks to the fact that less Nylon needs to be used in the mixture. Nylon is much more expensive that both Aluminum and Graphite.

I imagine the next step for Shapeways is one of the desktop printers, Z-Corp or Objet. Objet is better suited for engineering applications, as most of its features are for making different shore strengths and making overmolds etc. Z-Corp does your full colour prints, but unfortunately requires significant and involved post processing work. Failure rate is also astronomical. Though the Z-Corp casting materials may be worth a look.

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8012 is a reply to message #7968 ] Tue, 01 December 2009 18:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aortic001  is currently offline aortic001
Go to all my models
Bronze or copper would be nice for jewelry pieces, as they're easier to polish and workable than stainless steel.

Also any chance to introduce titanium? Since SLS/DMLS are probably the only economical options to its production.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8052 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 03 December 2009 17:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar odd  is currently offline odd
Go to all my models

I second alumide!!

Also tumble finishing and vibratory polishing would be very very useful...

..currently looking into buying my own - but if you can do it I'd prefer that not just from a cost standpoint but also time & space wise.

Thanks SO much for bringing all these technologies to us...and so cheap too!

cheers

//O.
icon7.gif  Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8058 is a reply to message #8052 ] Thu, 03 December 2009 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stardust4ever  is currently offline stardust4ever
Go to all my models
Is there any chance that you could bring back the white glaze? I missed the oportunity to order a couple of items I wanted in it. Certain art pieces would look much better with a nice glossy coating than with the normal dull grainy finish of most other materials.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 December 2009 19:12 UTC]

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8059 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 03 December 2009 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aurifex  is currently offline aurifex
Go to all my models
type of resin used in jewelry prototyping and walls 0.5mm Very Happy

and very cheap of course!...
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8062 is a reply to message #7903 ] Thu, 03 December 2009 22:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar locodan  is currently offline locodan
Go to my shop
Bronze with a good to fair machinability rating so live steam cylinders could honed and tapped for heads and mounts. My second choice would be wax so I can do my own casting of the cylinder and other live steam parts.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8063 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 04 December 2009 08:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TreadshotA1  is currently offline TreadshotA1
Go to my shop
Bring back White Glaze. I need that. Also would help if there was a black version of the same thing. Black Glaze!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8070 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 04 December 2009 10:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Quesera  is currently offline Quesera
Go to all my models
A mould out of flexible silicone material, usable for food and so high-low temperature resistant would be great!

It should be flexible enough to easily remove the content once cooled, baked....and strong enough to keep in shape without support.

Why? Because there definately is a considerable market for custom made shapes with this material.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 December 2009 10:32 UTC]

Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8072 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 04 December 2009 13:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Only problem with that is it will be a long time before Shapeways says it is usable in food. Now, if you printed the inverse shape in stainless, and wrap it in the in soft bakeable material. Then again Shapeways wouldn't suggest using any printed model in this way.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8073 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 04 December 2009 13:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SDabbs  is currently offline SDabbs
Go to my shop
silicone, or any type of flexible rubber.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8093 is a reply to message #7903 ] Sat, 05 December 2009 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kapusta  is currently offline Kapusta
Go to my shop
Black Strong and Flexible, Definitely! The puzzle I'm working on is dying to be printed in black! Shocked
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8095 is a reply to message #8093 ] Sat, 05 December 2009 15:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
Kapusta wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 14:06

Black Strong and Flexible, Definitely! The puzzle I'm working on is dying to be printed in black! Shocked

It's out there already!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8096 is a reply to message #8095 ] Sat, 05 December 2009 18:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar {DF}  is currently offline {DF}
Go to my shop
Wax!

I think wax is a very important material to include. Wax can give the opportunity of transfer the model into any kind of metal used in a foundry.

I would also suggest titanium and aluminum, but I am afraid this going to get very expensive for existing models.

http://shpws.me/DWg
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8106 is a reply to message #8070 ] Sun, 06 December 2009 05:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chris3d  is currently offline chris3d
Go to all my models
Re: Quesera's food safe suggestion -
One very easy way to make Food safe moulds would be:

1: Buy some food-grade Silicone Putty. (u can google for it)

2: Make a "positive" at Shapeways from White Detail (whatever material is most cleanable and least porous I guess)

3: Clean, Smooth and Polish your positive. Perhaps seal with a food-safe lacquer.

4: Make a mould from your positive wuth silicone putty.

5: Eat your Chrysler building shaped cupcakes or whatever.

I guess the food safe silicone will come into contact with the non-food safe shaeways print one time.
You could run your Silicone moulds through the dishwasher before castiing positives to be safe.

I there must be some kind of food hygeine standards you can look up and probably modify this process to conform to it.
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8578 is a reply to message #7903 ] Mon, 28 December 2009 09:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ibec  is currently offline ibec
Go to my shop
How about cheap material like cardboard (karton) and polystyrene (piepschuim)? That would even lower the barrier for more prototyping and printing. And the already mentioned wood (something similar to MDF).
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8590 is a reply to message #7903 ] Mon, 28 December 2009 20:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ushanka  is currently offline Ushanka
Go to my shop
The only way to print in cardboard would be to use an LOM machine, like the MCOR Matrix or the Solido machines. I'd really like to see the MCOR Matrix on here, because from what I understand, it would make prototyping a lot cheaper!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #8890 is a reply to message #7903 ] Tue, 12 January 2010 05:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar huan80  is currently offline huan80
Go to my shop
I would love to have access to Stainless Steel, Antique bronzed and polished for my own designs. What are the chances that you will offer that soon?
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10465 is a reply to message #8890 ] Fri, 05 March 2010 09:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Laserschwert  is currently offline Laserschwert
Go to all my models
Although I haven't tried any of the other materials, I really like the feel (plus the price, detail and stability) of WSF. Therefore I hope for:

Multi-colored Strong Flexible

Yeah, WSF plus textures... that would be awesome!!!

Another idea:

Chocolate

Yep, very cool for edible personalized presents. Yummy!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10467 is a reply to message #7903 ] Fri, 05 March 2010 09:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Although I'm still dreaming of full-color SF Razz

More realisitically, I would be very interested in materials like

- Carbonide
- White or any-color glaze

At least for a (second) round of trials

And materials like

- Ceramics
- Wood
- Glass/transparent plastic

At the right price this would be an almost guaranteed hit.

And I would love access to the creator metal

- Stainless Steel, Antique bronzed and polished

But for now I'm happily waiting for my Alumide order Smile

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10468 is a reply to message #10467 ] Fri, 05 March 2010 10:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar akeno  is currently offline akeno
Go to all my models
waxxxxxx!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10470 is a reply to message #10468 ] Fri, 05 March 2010 11:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Salokannel  is currently offline Salokannel
Go to my shop

Well, of course it's about price but as materials
GOLD & TITANIUM
would be very interesting...
Both are perfect for small jewellry and
in Shapeways there's a lot of them.

www.pekkasalokannel.com
www.colorsofbirch.com
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10538 is a reply to message #10470 ] Sun, 07 March 2010 12:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar derekh  is currently offline derekh
Go to all my models
WAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!
Re: Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months? [message #10732 is a reply to message #10538 ] Sun, 14 March 2010 03:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar dymihail  is currently offline dymihail
Go to all my models
Vero Gray, which I assume you guys would call Gray Detail. It has better mechanical properties than any of the other Vero materials, it's light enough that it can be painted over without showing through (unlike Black) and dark enough that it can actually be photographed to show detail (unlike White).

I'd also like to see Objet jobs run on High Resolution rather than High Speed. And I'd like to see wall thicknesses come down to ~0.5mm, which I prove is possible on a regular basis. You just can't man-handle the parts when cleaning them.

Pages (3): [1  2  3    »] 

Previous Topic:Add Pewter as a Material
Next Topic:My Models management by Folders

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.