Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Multiple intersecting objects in scene?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Multiple intersecting objects in scene? [message #340] Fri, 25 July 2008 12:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar Keith  is currently offline Keith
Go to all my models
I posted a query about this in my introduction which was probably not appropriate Smile .

Can an object being prepared for 3d printing be constructed from a number of smaller 'sub-objects'? For example if I wanted to model a rivet on a surface could the rivet be a separate 'watertight' sphere and intersect the surface ( of equally watertight geometry)?

If so then is there a good guideline for the amount one object should intersect another?

Many Thanks.
Re: Multiple intersecting objects in scene? [message #347 is a reply to message #340 ] Fri, 25 July 2008 14:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Yes Keith,

You can make a rivet, or an object within an object.

I'm trying to picture what you mean by intersect though? If they did intersect then this would mean it would be the same object?

Joris

Re: Multiple intersecting objects in scene? [message #350 is a reply to message #347 ] Fri, 25 July 2008 15:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Keith  is currently offline Keith
Go to all my models
Hi,

I think that you've answered my question Smile

By intersecting I mean that two 'watertight' objects in a scene are overlapping.
To use a 3DSMax example - two objects in a scene are 'attached' but ,on a 'sub-object' level, they are still two distinct closed objects. My sphere rivet would have parts of its surface inside the volume of the larger plane to which it has been attached.

Previous Topic:Minimum wall thickness vs. minimum detail size
Next Topic:Uploaded models?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.