Hi at all!

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by Geologo, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Geologo
    Geologo Member
    Hi guys I'm an italian boy and I'm 21 years old.
    Unfortunately my english isn't very good and I'm sorry about that ^^'
    But I really like this site and the oppurtunities that it offers,
    so I had to join this community :D

I use Blender 3D and I love to model objects but I'm really hopeless with
    the human modelling xD
    I would like to try to print some little jewels or some personalized keyrings
    to give to my friends :D

But I experienced some trouble with my first print >.<
    For example (for strange reasons) I have a hole in a wall in my house,
    and I have to tap it wit a cap tat I designed in blender.
    It is 18x18x15cm and in white flexible plastic its price will be somewhat
    like 6004$.... Is it possible?
    Or am I doing some stupid kind of mistake?
    I did 18*18*15= 4060 cc
    4060cc * 1.40$/cc = 6804$

If the prices are so high unfortunately I whink I wouldn't print it ç.ç
    I admit to have some trouble to understand how 3D printig works,
    because I did't find a tutorila that explain me from the start to the end
    how to print an exaple object.
    Anyway I modelled the cap and I processed it with netfabb and it says that
    it's all ok.

If I have the ok of that program it signify that my model is effectively printable?

Thank u all and I hope we will work, have fun, sell or everithing else together for a lot of time! :D
    Best wishes, Geo.

(Ps. I don't remember how I founded this site, but a lot of time ago I saved it in my bookmarks
    and I shared it whit 2 my uncle that are both 3D designer)

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Welcome!

Something that big will be expensive. Your price calculation is probably off because there is a density discount for WSF.
    For models that have greater than 10% density (material volume divided by bounding box volume), volume above the first 20cm3 is calculated with a 50% discount.

3. Geologo
    Geologo Member
    But it is still somewhat like 3000$ right?

One of my unce have a 3d Printer and it can print without filling all the object with plastic,
    it simply create a crossed wireframe into the mesh in order to sustain it and thanks to it
    he can save a lot of material.
    Do you have any option/material that allow to do that for big objects?

(I don't use his 3D printer because is really rough and his maximal bounding box is somethig like 15x15x20)

Anyway I think I'll try with something smaller like little jewels and other decorative object that I love to model :D
    Ah, thank u for the fast answer! :)

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    When you upload, our automated software will give you the volume of the upload that we use to calculate the price.

All of our materials use different processes than your uncles printer, that make what you're suggesting impossible. For example WSF uses the unsinthered powder as the support material. So hollow areas in a model would have trapped powder that we could potentially reuse. What this means though is you can make your model completely hollow, and have escape holes for the material to be removed. You won't need inner support structures to keep your model from collapsing during building. If you look on the materials page, we break down all the requirements for wall thickness and escape hole size.

5. bartv
    bartv Member
  6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Or you can use Netfabb Basic (which is at the very reasonable price of free). This software can be very useful for fixing models, too.

7. Geologo
    Geologo Member
    Thank u all! :D
    I saw that toolbox for blender but I didn't try it because up to now I used Netfabb Basic.
    Anyway I'll try the toolbox as soon as possible.