New Site Look

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Youknowwho4eva, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    Thanks for being sharp :D

3. __DF__
    __DF__ Member
    The new site design looks g r e a t ! ! !

4. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Haha...the Brits will get quite miffed if you say "favourite" is a typo. Next you'll be correcting "colour" and "theatre" and "customise". Shapeways should certainly be consistent about using the British vs. American preferred spelling.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Americans will scratch there head and have to go to dictionary.com to look up miffed lol. You know how us Americans are, There's the right way to do things and then there is the rest of the worlds way of doing things. :p. Either way doesn't matter to me but like dadrummond said, consistency. It only stuck out because one of the other pages said favorites. Jolly Good, Righteo :eek: .

6. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    Before a big forum fight starts ;) : We attend to use American english on the website, but sometimes it's difficult if it's not your native language.

To stay ontopic: Please give your feedback about the new homepage,
    i'm interested in what everybody thinks of it

By the way: I'm the new designer, see my introduction here

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Ok, well I like what you did in all of the "some of our favorites" sections. I like the look of the items with the price tag and all. Really makes the ones on the home page look bland though. The top of the page is gorgeous, the bottom is like "what's this crap". Not saying that any of the stuff on the bottom is crap, just not as spiced up as the top.

8. __DF__
    __DF__ Member
    The site is too "wide". I am on a MacBook Pro 17" and it is even "wide" for my resolution. Check the bottom safari scrollbar to see what I mean:
    [​IMG]

9. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    The width of the site hasn't been adjusted during the update. But I presume this was already the case before the update?

10. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    You're right about the inconsistency regarding (for example) gallery items. We're slightly trying to redesign the website and this is also something we're working on

11. __DF__
    __DF__ Member
    It wasn't that wide in the beginning. It became very wide after a previous update (about a month ago I think...).
    But no, certainly not, it is not the last update that made this.

12. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    Didn't know that, so thanks for bringing this up. I'm going to find this bug

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  13. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Love the look, and love the choice of themes, and selected items when one visits a theme page. It's starting to look more appealing to consumers, which (in my view) is great for shop owners. Much more professional look.

I agree with others that the look really needs to extend throughout the site.

A major improvement on the homepage is increased use of professional-quality photography for items. Better pictures make the items more appealing. On that note, I'd like to see an upgrade in the default rendering of items; an ability for any designer (not just those with shops) to set their item's main thumbnail so that we can further reduce the prevalence of default renderings; and a definitive marking of "render" vs. "photograph" on all uploaded images. This last item will allow Shapeways to always display real photographs whenever they exist.

14. chris89
    chris89 Member
    i like it :) very tight.
    Takes a bit of getting used to for the people who know the previous version, but i'd say its an improvement.

15. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    I think this is new: Gallery -> Theme overview. Before I sometimes couldn't figure out how to navigate to a particular theme page.

I like the new look!

16. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    You're right, that's also new. Before this menu item the only way to visit theme pages was by banners.