Home » Community » It arrived! » Arrivals in Elasto, Steel, and WSF
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Arrivals in Elasto, Steel, and WSF [message #76272] Mon, 07 October 2013 01:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar ceramicwombat  is currently offline ceramicwombat
Go to my shop
I have had a couple of batches of models arrive in the past two weeks. The first two are models I made for Shapeways' original Flex material that I wanted to see in the new Elasto Plastic. The Dragonscale Cuff is much more robust in Elasto Plastic than I anticipated. The Elasto Plastic is less elastic and not as soft as the old Flex material. That's not a bad thing, just surprisingly different.

index.php?t=getfile&id=42352&private=0

Has anyone had any luck with dyeing the new Elasto Plastic? I like it in white but I'd like to experiment with dyeing it a different color.

index.php?t=getfile&id=42353&private=0

The Hand Stylus was an experimental model to see how Flex (and now Elasto) would interact with a smartphone screen. It does not. I designed it for people with large fingers like me who have trouble navigating smartphone screens. I tried to imagine a use for this model now that I know it doesn't activate smartphone screens, but came up empty.

index.php?t=getfile&id=42351&private=0

Next up is the Thoroughly Modern Dice Set. I wanted to create a set with a mid-century-style font and a smooth, (relatively) minimalist aesthetic.

index.php?t=getfile&id=42354&private=0

Last is a redesign of my Moiré Sphere. The old version didn't have enough space between the ribs. The new, airier design allows the moiré pattern effect to really pop. There is a video of the sphere in motion on the product page linked above.

index.php?t=getfile&id=42355&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 07 October 2013 01:25 UTC]

Re: Arrivals in Elasto, Steel, and WSF [message #76293 is a reply to message #76272 ] Mon, 07 October 2013 13:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I love the cuff, had a similar idea I haven't yet worked on that this makes me want to work on it now.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Arrivals in Elasto, Steel, and WSF [message #76300 is a reply to message #76272 ] Mon, 07 October 2013 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
You might have some luck with the finger stylus if you get it metal plated. (Maybe.) The touch screens are capacitive, if I recall correctly, so non-conducting materials have no effect.

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: Arrivals in Elasto, Steel, and WSF [message #76311 is a reply to message #76272 ] Mon, 07 October 2013 18:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Too bad you didn't use the middle finger as a pointer - Could think of lots of uses then Twisted Evil

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Arrivals in Elasto, Steel, and WSF [message #76333 is a reply to message #76311 ] Tue, 08 October 2013 01:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ceramicwombat  is currently offline ceramicwombat
Go to my shop
Thanks, Youknowwho4eva. If you are going to make something similar, I recommend going with a minimum wall thickness of 1mm. My cuff was designed with Flex in mind, which had a minimum wall thickness of 1.5mm. On an object this size in Elasto Plastic, 1.5mm is quite beefy. I think 1mm would give a better "feel" to a cuff-type object.

FreeRangeBrain, I probably should have researched whether Elasto Plastic would have the properties necessary to activate a smartphone screen before I built the model. But, I found out how hard it is to build a reasonable approximation of a human hand from scratch in 3D. I'm hoping I can apply the practice done while creating this model to some other (hopefully functional) model.
Re: Arrivals in Elasto, Steel, and WSF [message #76899 is a reply to message #76333 ] Wed, 16 October 2013 20:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar seriaforma  is currently offline seriaforma
Go to my shop
Love the scales on the cuff and your sphere is very nice!

Previous Topic:Minif1driver, first print
Next Topic:ThunderShifter Pendant, Ogham Pendant, Titan's Twilight Ring (Brass and Steel)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.