Looking for composition or MSDS of brass material

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mgraviton, Oct 6, 2013.

1. mgraviton
    mgraviton Member
    Hi there. I'm excited to try out the new brass material! Since I make and sell a lot of jewelry, I often get questions from customers about the metal contents, particularly about metals that can cause allergies. I know that brass is often made with some amount of lead, so this is also of interest to customers with kids.

Can you please provide information about the composition of the brass material, and hopefully a material safety data sheet? I know that what Shapeways stainless steel is a different composition than what most people associate with stainless, so I want to make sure I understand what the brass material is.

Thanks!

2. mgraviton
    mgraviton Member
    I'm interested in this as well.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    One data point from the original announcement (on the blog) is that the gold-plated variety uses a nickel underplate.
    Shapeways has so far not responded to concerns regarding compliance with exposure limits as per EU REACH regulation annex 17.

4. mkroeker
    Huh, so you are interested in this as well as yourself ???

5. mgraviton
    mgraviton Member
    Sorry, I posted that message to a thread open in another tab on my browser, and the forum posted it here because this window was more recently refreshed. Glitch in the forum system I guess.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Hey guys, we're working on the MSDS for you. I can tell you that our Brass is 15% Zinc, 5% Tin, and 80% Copper.

If you need any other information please ask and I'll see what I can find.

7. mgraviton
    mgraviton Member
    Thank you!

8. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay, there is NO NICKEL in our gold plated brass.

Best,
    Natalia

9. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator

I thought it was 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration???

10. mkroeker
    I brought it up as the original blog posting for/from the trial phase states
    Now I just noticed that the original "24K gold" in the phrase that followed has been changed to "22K gold", so you might want to strike out the part about nickel plating in the old blog entry as well.
    Probably the product was changed to be more skin-friendly, or the initial description was copied over from some internal document on the gold-plated stainless (which btw might also benefit from a note on the details of electroplating) ?

11. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Thanks mkroeker, I just edited the blog post to reflect the accurate composition!

:)

Natalia

12. dvhannah
    dvhannah Member
    Is there still no MSDS for brass? I've looked all over and can't find it.
    Thanks.

13. DBTops
    DBTops Well-Known Member
    I am interested in the density of the materials, I would like to be able to estimate weight based off of material volume.