Home » Support » 3D Applications » Wrong Size
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wrong Size [message #76159] Sat, 05 October 2013 09:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar Alexander7G  is currently offline Alexander7G
Go to all my models
I have made a few 3d-models in inventor 2012, exported them as STL and uploaded them to Shapeways, but the Meassurements are not the same anymore.
I did this many times and even switched from mm to inch but nothing changed.
Do I have to first convert the STL made in Inventor to get the right Result?

Any Suggestions?
Re: Wrong Size [message #76161 is a reply to message #76159 ] Sat, 05 October 2013 10:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
From what I read in other threads, Inventor STL export is in *centimeters* by default - there is an option to change this somewhere in the program.
Re: Wrong Size [message #76164 is a reply to message #76161 ] Sat, 05 October 2013 10:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Alexander7G  is currently offline Alexander7G
Go to all my models
I know, and I have changed the meassurements to mm allready.
Re: Wrong Size [message #76166 is a reply to message #76164 ] Sat, 05 October 2013 12:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
How far off are the measurements between Inventor and Shapeways (Shapeways should show two set of dimensions - for the original model
and for the model rotated to fit into the smallest possible bounding box) ? You might want to check your STL file with netfabb studio basic.
Re: Wrong Size [message #76882 is a reply to message #76166 ] Wed, 16 October 2013 17:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar acab1120  is currently offline acab1120
Go to all my models
I had the same issue. Using Inventor 11/12

Try this:

-Hit the I button
-Print > Print to 3D print service
-It is exported as an .STL and you can choose the scale and units in the export options
-.STL file is saved where you put it.

Hope this helps

Previous Topic:Uploading Issues
Next Topic:ViaCAD Pro WIP Invite (Mac/PC)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.