Is stainless steel the only material which is magnetic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpecializationIsOverrated, Oct 1, 2013.

1. I'm curious if any of the brass variants (specifically Raw in my case) can be attracted by a magnet. I know that its only mentioned for stainless on the materials page but I wanted to double check.

Thank you.

2. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. Never underestimate just how much I might want to know about a topic. :)

The fact that their stainless is magnetic is what threw me off, I was hoping that there might be some magic in their brass. Well I can always just coat the back of the part with some "magnetic" paint.

Thanks for the reply, its very much appreciated.

4. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    Well, magnetic paint doesn't work very well, usually. However, there's magnetic tape, and thin magnetic business card stickers you might be able to press into service (both usually available at both craft stores, and office/school supply stores).

If the part is big enough, and you REALLY need it to hold, the brass castings are solid and can easily be drilled (if there's a way to hold it...), then you could epoxy a rare earth magnet of some kind in the hole.

If it's an odd shape and you need to drill it.... you've already got a mesh. Use it to make a negative impression of the piece and have THAT printed out. then you can clap the block in a vice and drill the part without it moving. :)

5. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    Or you could have a hole or pocket printed into your part into which you could epoxy a rare earth or other functional magnet.

6. True to both suggestions.

The piece is tiny, its a pin (jewelry) that's roughly 10mmx10mmx1.5mm. The plan was to hold it in place with a rare earth magnet. I should have thought about printing a depression to hide a magnet in; I've got some very small 1/8" diameter x 1/16" thick rare earth magnets that would be perfect for this.