Gold Plated Brass Finish problems

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 17784_deleted, Sep 25, 2013.

1. 17784_deleted
    17784_deleted Member
    I just received my first item of Gold plated brass and I have a bit of a problem.
    It has pitting all over it as you can see from the photo.
    Is this normal for this material, is there something wrong with my model or did I just get a bad printed item?

As you can tell it is a custom ring I am trying to make so the pitting really detracts from the look.

_MG_0479.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    Can't say anything about your model, but if you look at the examples on the material page (https://www.shapeways.com/materials/brass) they are much more highly polished, some of them look almost liquid. Only the right one is a bit rough, but it has a lot hard to reach areas, which your ring hasn't.

I think it's worth sending an email to service@shapeways.com because this is not living up to what they promise.

3. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
  4. 17784_deleted
    17784_deleted Member
    :cry:

You are absolutely right I did order the wrong one, Totally my fault I will be more careful next time.

5. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    For your information, I informed our product team to look into this topic and see if we can add (For example) Stainless Steel to the name so it's more obvious that there is a difference between the Brass and Stainless Steel version.

6. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    This is exactly why I like to be able to change the material option in the cart. There have been several occasions where I selected the incorrect material and corrected it in the cart, mostly because the default material settings. Now with the change if you do detect a problem you need to add a duplicate element with the right material before removing the bad one. I do not like green eggs and ham.