Home » Support » Suggestions » Save us time and money!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Save us time and money! [message #75232] Sun, 22 September 2013 12:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar Hoffbrau  is currently offline Hoffbrau
Go to all my models
A designer should be able to poke a hole in their mesh [so it has an 'open end' in essence], then tick a button that asks for 'minimum wall distance'. Shapeways would then print your determined minimum wall distance *inwardly* by your own algorithm. There are modeling solutions in Modo, Maya, Max and Z - none of them are very elegant. This is something core to your business model - the affordability factor - it would be worth the time and effort to solve.
Re: Save us time and money! [message #75235 is a reply to message #75232 ] Sun, 22 September 2013 13:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
In Blender you can essentially do just this.

Create a mesh, remove one or more faces, ensure the Normals are all correct (Blender does this with one click) and then use the Solidify Modifier specifying your desired thickness.

Of course if the mesh has many complexities in relation to the thickness desired there may be some tidying to do.
Re: Save us time and money! [message #75245 is a reply to message #75235 ] Sun, 22 September 2013 17:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for that - I'm sure it does. Modo has a solution too - 'thicken'. It's the last part that gets me. The tidy up part. It seems that since this is largely an impediment or stumble point for a lot of designers, shapeways could solve the issue by coming up with an *elegant*, complete, no-need-to-tidy-up algorithmic answer. It's just a happy thought. As a father of a young daughter who has only the time to tidy after her, it's a *very happy* thought.
Re: Save us time and money! [message #75246 is a reply to message #75245 ] Sun, 22 September 2013 17:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Well, I would respectfully suggest that if it was easy, Blender, Modo and all the other 3d packages would have already done it. SW doesn't, as far as I know, program this kind of stuff themselves, they tend to purchase solutions. For example, I think they use MeshMedic for much of the automatic mesh fixing that occurs.

I should also stress that in Blender (which is the only package I know a little bit about) the Solidify Modifier does not always need tidying up after. It really does depend on the mesh: deep crevices and sharp points potentially are troublesome, but the smoother the changes in the surface (and the smaller the relative thickness) the better it works.
Re: Save us time and money! [message #75248 is a reply to message #75246 ] Sun, 22 September 2013 18:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
One additional comment:

In many of the software packages, there is an option called "crease angle" - very often, playing with that setting can help how the software handles the sharp angles/corners.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Save us time and money! [message #75250 is a reply to message #75246 ] Sun, 22 September 2013 19:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks again - I'll try Blender and give it a shot to see the difference...I think all of these 3d companies come up with workable solutions, and then end it there. Finding a solution to this sideline problem isn't a priority -- for Maya Modo and the like -- but it should be for Shapeways. That's regardless of the level of difficulty. It's Shapeway's bread and butter, not Maya's. They could outsource this issue to India or find someone to craft a solution for them, and they really should.

Re: Save us time and money! [message #75398 is a reply to message #75232 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 17:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Another way to do it in blender is to create a duplicate model, and there is an offset command (I'm terrible with Blender, and don't remember how to get it) that will automatically offset the faces uniformly. Then you can reduce this new mesh so that your not doubling your polygons by hollowing. Subtract it from your original model, and create your escape hole.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Suggestions for web page enhancements
Next Topic:Material Requests / Suggestions

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.