Detailed printing different on two sides of my model

Discussion in 'Materials' started by core2kx, Sep 19, 2013.

1. core2kx
    core2kx Member
    photo_001.JPG Hello,

I received my printed model today and it is the second one of the same model I have created. I have an question about the printed results. One side of the model has sharp detail and the other side has less detail. See the attached pictures.

It is printed in WSF. Should I choose a different material for a more balanced result?

Regards;
    Chris

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. Our SLS printers print best detail on surfaces facing upward. Surfaces facing downward are not as detailed. Frosted Ultra Detail gives best detail in 360 degrees and is great for small models like this one.

Have a word with the Customer Service team if this print is not up to standards.

-Ben

3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    But we have no control over orientation ....

4. core2kx
    core2kx Member
    Thanks for the replies. Having control over orientation would easily solve the issue and now that i know why it is printing this way it makes sense. I will contact CS and see what can be done.

-Chris

5. AmLachDesigns
    I had a similar problem a while back (see this post 60835). Unfortunately benblanton was not around to give me this information at the time. Now I know.

6. core2kx
    core2kx Member
    So then, how can I expect to use these as sellable models when they may or may not come out with the balanced detail? I guess I know the answer to that question. Very disappointing.

Thanks for the info and good read.

-Chris

7. AmLachDesigns
    Well, I would follow through and ask customer service what they can do. I know they review things all the time and maybe they can help. They do try and print some things with a certain orientation to give best results (iPhone cases and aeroplanes are two examples that come to mind, there may be others).

I do know they always try their best.