Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Material Restrictions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material Restrictions [message #7642] Fri, 06 November 2009 14:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I had this problem about a week ago, where someone had ordered a model in stainless that was too thin for stainless. In the model restrictions area, if you want all but stainless to be acceptable you have to keep clicking add until all that is left is stainless. What about a remove material button? That way I can go on the list and just say no to stainless? What about instead of the way it is now, have check boxes with a check/uncheck all button? Then you could simply uncheck stainless for none stainless models, and for stainless only click check/uncheck all and then click stainless.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Material Restrictions [message #8098 is a reply to message #7642 ] Sat, 05 December 2009 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
Good point ...

More then 7500 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD
Re: Material Restrictions [message #8203 is a reply to message #7642 ] Thu, 10 December 2009 15:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
An annoying addition to this. I used to be able to click restrict material until I saw stainless... BSF is listed under stainless. So now I either have to restrict till I see stainless then select BSF or restrict to all the remove stainless.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Material Restrictions [message #8210 is a reply to message #8203 ] Thu, 10 December 2009 15:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
A different method on adding materials is something we'll need to look into, but having the order of the materials in the restriction dropdown to resemble the dropdown for material is something we can change quicker.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards, Arno
Re: Material Restrictions [message #8215 is a reply to message #7642 ] Thu, 10 December 2009 15:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Thank you Sir, It was inconvenient but still some what easy before with stainless on the bottom. Perhaps on a big update have an "all .7mm materials", "all 1mm materials", and "2mm materials" (or what ever kind of restriction you want on stainless, I know it depends on overall size of the model). Kind of goes along with my Thickness of shell for sell suggestion.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Material Restrictions [message #8262 is a reply to message #7642 ] Sat, 12 December 2009 12:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
To my opinion the minimal wall size should be stored with the model and so preselect the material restrictions for the model.
So no failure can be done by the designer and it would prevent a lot of troubles on all sides.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 December 2009 12:25 UTC]

References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD
Re: Material Restrictions [message #10179 is a reply to message #8262 ] Wed, 24 February 2010 18:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Another suggestion.

Why isn't it possible to restric to "Strong and Flexible" or to "Detail" without specifying the color?
Generally we do not care in which color a customer buy an object. We just need to be sure that if the design need to be flexible, only flexible materials are used, or if details are important, only detail meterials are used.

I guess it will be the same thing if one day we will be able to choose between Stainless Steel and Bronze Stainless Steel.

Currently, for the models I restricted to White Strong and Flexible (when only this color was available), it is not possible to order them in Black or any other dyed Strong and Flexible, if I do not add those materials by myself.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 February 2010 19:56 UTC]

Re: Material Restrictions [message #10188 is a reply to message #10179 ] Thu, 25 February 2010 01:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Black is also dyed. It would be better if the selector used the same style, though, less confusion, all marked "Look" or better "Dyed".
Re: Material Restrictions [message #11331 is a reply to message #7642 ] Thu, 01 April 2010 16:45 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
The material restriction needs some additional attention since it's time consuming to handle. It's easier and faster to upload a model then to handle the material restrictions ...

Woody64

[Updated on: Thu, 01 April 2010 16:46 UTC]

Previous Topic:Rating System
Next Topic:not for sale??

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.