Using inventor to create a STL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcathorn, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Arcathorn
    Arcathorn Member
    Greetings all!

This is my first time trying to create a model to be printed out. I have used inventor for years and figured this would be something I would enjoy a lot. However on my first try I am running into a problem. I used inventor to create a model that measures at 4.5 inches. I then uploaded it to the site and it came back at a whopping 11.5 inches in size...you can imagine the cost increase there. I can't seem to get it to upload at the correct size and I have not been able to figure it out. Does anyone have any hints?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What file type are you uploading?

3. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    The problem you're likely encountering is when you export an STL from Inventor, the default unit is centimeters. Go into the settings as you're exporting it, and change that to inches. You should be set to go.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. Arcathorn
    Arcathorn Member
    Fixed it! As you guess the problem was in the conversion. I just had to go down to options as I was saving it and set the correct units. Once that was done presto. Thank you for all your help...........ya know this really is quite fun to play around with....Might be something I get more into as time goes on. Thanks again everyone

5. I'm haveing the same problem you had, how'd you get to the spot where you can change the export units?

6. never mind i got it!