Home » Community » It arrived! » Gold Plated Coin, Success!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Gold Plated Coin, Success! [message #74284] Thu, 05 September 2013 17:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
Decided to prototype a gold coin using the new gold platted brass. Man did it come out sweet! Feels nice and heavy and makes a sweet ringing sound when flipped. The resolution of the printing is awesome. Got the proportions a bit wrong on the inner bits verses the outer part, one more rev and I think I'll have it right.

The only part I'm dissattisfied with is a the background layer. is has a slight texture to it where I assume it could be polished smooth. Not a huge deal but its not as perfect as a real modern stamped coin. So areas where they can't easily polish will have some texture to them.

Fair warning, I'm a Shapeways employee so possibly biased but still really excited.

index.php?t=getfile&id=40105&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=40106&private=0

Director 3D Tools
Re: Gold Plated Coin, Success! [message #74459 is a reply to message #74284 ] Mon, 09 September 2013 10:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
looks great.
Re: Gold Plated Coin, Success! [message #74530 is a reply to message #74284 ] Tue, 10 September 2013 23:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNib  is currently offline MrNib
Go to my shop
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.

Really? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Re: Gold Plated Coin, Success! [message #74531 is a reply to message #74530 ] Tue, 10 September 2013 23:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Yes, we have some very playful graphics designers working for us Smile

Director 3D Tools
Re: Gold Plated Coin, Success! [message #75236 is a reply to message #74531 ] Sun, 22 September 2013 13:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chapeuxpyrate  is currently offline chapeuxpyrate
Go to my shop
Allen, perhaps you could help me with a question ~ I am designing coins and so need to have both sides of the mesh printed with detail ~ I am either using Detail Plastic or Frosted Ultra Detail ~ I know you printed in gold plated, but I am hoping you or someone at Shapeways could advise me on the matter ~ I just got back a pendant (printed)~ not a coin, but the same concept ~ needing detail on all (both) sides ~ the back was perfect ~ but the front was rather less than perfect (being kind here ~ how the tech decided to orient the piece to favor the plain back and not the detailed front is a whole other issue Confused ) ~ the pendant was printed in White Detail ~

Is this a matter of the type of material? I see your coin printed fine both sides ~ but I am not printing in metal ~ as my purpose is to print a plastic master to cast into a RTV Silicone mold for Pewter casting ~ I found a reference that pointed to Frosted Ultra Detail as a material that prints fine on all sides ~ but I am not sure if that reference is all that dependable ~

My first thoughts for a fix is to cut the model in two halves and set both pieces in a single STL file ~ then join them once printed to make the double sided coin master ~ but it would be better not to have to do that and just work with one two sided coin mesh.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
Re: Gold Plated Coin, Success! [message #75251 is a reply to message #74284 ] Sun, 22 September 2013 19:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
What is the size of the coin? Great resolution for a half-inch diameter, only so-so if six inches wide Twisted Evil

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Gold Plated Coin, Success! [message #75256 is a reply to message #75251 ] Sun, 22 September 2013 20:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
US half-dollar size, 30.61 mm (1.205 in)

Director 3D Tools
Re: Gold Plated Coin, Success! [message #75284 is a reply to message #75256 ] Mon, 23 September 2013 12:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar chapeuxpyrate  is currently offline chapeuxpyrate
Go to my shop
My Typical Coin size will be 1.75"

I am wanting to print in a material (non metal) that will be for the master to then make RTV Silicone Molds for pewter casting. My main issue is that it should that the print should be high clean detail on both sides ~ Like I said, I have read a couple reference to Frosted Ultra Detail as the material that prints quality 360 degrees ~ I just want to be sure this is true before I start throwing any more money (and time waiting for results) at prints.

See example of a custom coin I am designing for a performing pirate.

index.php?t=getfile&id=41560&private=0

Previous Topic:NATO 20L Jerry Can 1/10th Scale
Next Topic:femme