Home » Support » Suggestions » Post Processing Page for each Material?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Post Processing Page for each Material? [message #74020] Sun, 01 September 2013 15:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar jmandesigns  is currently offline jmandesigns
Go to all my models
One thing that really seems missing from shapeways is a way to easily understand what material is good for which sort of end result/post processing. Everyday we are seeing how designers evolve the usage of a material to do some neat things. We need to better communicate and collaborate on post processing capabilities of each material. And we also need to store these capabilities/results so that other designers can see what a material is truly capable of.

For example I needed to create some silicone molds from an item, it should be fairly obvious to me that MJM based FD and FUD are amazing materials for this, with the only prep work required being wax removal. However the community doesnt have a way to really share how the uses of each material is evolving and tie those new pieces of knowledge to the material page, which is actually potentially hurting designers in their material choices/selection.

Re: Post Processing Page for each Material? [message #74028 is a reply to message #74020 ] Sun, 01 September 2013 17:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
While this kind of information is currently spread out over hundreds of messages in the post-production, "it arrived" and sometimes also the general and "work in progress" forums, at least it is there and growing, and the forum search function, while not perfect, allows one to find most of it. It would probably take a shapeways intern or a volunteer with lots of time on their hands to collect and sort what is already there.
(A wiki system for collaborative editing might be useful, but seeing the regular spamming on the forum and blog - though using captchas on the latter seems to have helped - it might be better to host it on some less visible site)
Re: Post Processing Page for each Material? [message #74047 is a reply to message #74028 ] Mon, 02 September 2013 14:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
So basically your answer is, it would take somone with time at shapeways to develop these pages or a knowledgebase system, and then information is already available via searching. . . . Thats my exact point, it takes designers all time to research the same stuff over and over, so why not create a simple either knowledge base or knowledge page highlighting post production techniques of each material, it really just helps them sell the capabilities of their own materials better.

I love shapeways dont get me wrong, but the forum system actually is one of my biggest gripes, its pretty bad while the rest of the service is very good. The search options are terrible, the interface has alot of css issues. it seem like were on some budget bulletin software like SMF or phpbb, which while do the job are missing many features that make for a better user- forum experience.
Re: Post Processing Page for each Material? [message #74131 is a reply to message #74020 ] Tue, 03 September 2013 17:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
At least the forums has an awesome moderator Razz

Post production techniques have been discussed along with other things we'd like to make more accessible.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Post Processing Page for each Material? [message #74134 is a reply to message #74131 ] Tue, 03 September 2013 18:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
haha heck yeah!

The one thing thats really won me over to shapeways aside from the top notch production skills, is the support, staff and community!!. I've learned so much from everyone here.

Thanks for the help though Smile. Also I hope I didn't come accross as too harsh about the forum. I just run a forum of my own (for 6+ years) and use (paid) IPBoard, and its just a much better experience overall IMO, and very easy to integrate with additional services.
Re: Post Processing Page for each Material? [message #74135 is a reply to message #74020 ] Tue, 03 September 2013 18:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
No offense taken on my part. I'm not in charge of the software Smile. We are always happy to be aware of where we can improve.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Post Processing Page for each Material? [message #74561 is a reply to message #74135 ] Wed, 11 September 2013 08:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey folks,

we'll be working hard on improving our tutorials section, and could use a little help here. Would someone be interested in helping us collect the best post processing information and help maintain a page (or section) on this?

Thanks!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Categorize "3d modeller needed"- section
Next Topic:Some time a model rejected for no real reason...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.