Knotsplosion by OSKAR

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Oskar_van_Deventer, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Hi Non-Twisty Puzzles fans,

Knotsplosion is a put-together puzzle with three identical cubic looped pieces. When assembled, the three loops intersect at four point. The puzzle disassembles first in a smooth coordinated motion. However, the real puzzle is then to get the pieces free from each other. The assembly poses the opposite, even harder problem.

Surprisingly, Knotsplosion is a spin-off of the Hurly Burly puzzle. Hurly Burly has three loop-shaped piece that are black, green and blue. They fit together in an unexpected topological fashion that allows them to be taken apart. When I discovered this topology on my computer screen in May 2005, I built a cubic model of centicubes. I was quite surprised to find out that even the cubic version was hard to put together or take apart, even though there were just three identical loopy pieces. Tom Lensch made some big wooden samples and Hanayama even made a metal prototype in 2007, which was too delicate unfortunately. At the request of a customer of mine, I am now making it available via Shapeways.

Watch the YouTube video.
    Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
    Read more at the Non-Twisty Puzzles Forum.
    Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
    Knotsplosion-v3---view-9.jpg
    Knotsplosion-v3---view-1.jpg
    Knotsplosion-v3---view-4.jpg
    Knotsplosion-v3---view-6.jpg
    Knotsplosion-v3---view-7.jpg