Home » Support » 3D Design » Object getting resized?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Object getting resized? [message #73643] Sun, 25 August 2013 19:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar Jeremiah4512  is currently offline Jeremiah4512
Go to my shop
This is my first time using Shapeway, and today i submitted my first project. The dimensions of the project within the CAD application im using are, 2/45x 4.65 x .46 but everytime i upload the project the dimensions get increased to around, 6.45 x 11.32 x 1.02. Why is this?
Re: Object getting resized? [message #73644 is a reply to message #73643 ] Sun, 25 August 2013 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What kind of file are you uploading - .stl, .x3d etc?

When you upload, does it offer you the choice of units (mm, inches, metres)? What do you respond?

What units do you think you are designing in?

Can you make your model in Shapeways public?
Re: Object getting resized? [message #73653 is a reply to message #73644 ] Sun, 25 August 2013 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jeremiah4512  is currently offline Jeremiah4512
Go to my shop
STL

Yes, and inches. However i have tried using all of the scaling options and none of them result in the proper measurements.

I am in Inches.

I don't know what Shapeway public is.
Re: Object getting resized? [message #73656 is a reply to message #73653 ] Sun, 25 August 2013 23:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Your unwanted conversion factor is suspiciously close to the 2.54 of inch/centimeter conversion. (And something is not quite right with the figures you wrote - they imply different conversion factors for the axes). Check dimensions in "Edit" mode - there you should see both the original dimensions of your part and the minimal dimensions of the "oriented bounding box" used for cost calculation.

If there still remains a discrepancy between what you modeled and what shapeways reports, calculate the scaling factor from expected vs reported value and use (free,cross-platform) netfabb studio basic to rescale your model accordingly (incidentally, what sized does netfabb report - I believe it is very close to what shapeways refers to as its "mesh medic" software, and the simplest explanation would be that your software still "thinks" in metric even if you select imperial units for its user interface. (As far as I know, STL is unit-agnostic, which is why shapeways asks you whether you want numeric differences to measure in inches or millimeters.

(EDIT: Typo)

[Updated on: Sun, 25 August 2013 23:02 UTC]

Previous Topic:3D Fashion
Next Topic:Testing stability

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.