Gold Plated Myth Skull

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by rubyscooby, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rubyscooby
    rubyscooby Member
    I just got my newest print and it's beautiful. Great job once again Shapeways! My friend who is a hat designer (Indra Lowenstein) drew some sketches on a napkin for these little skulls so we could make them to put on hats. The metal one had to be printed much bigger and is too heavy for a hat but I love it. We used the White strong flexible and the black for the hats as they are lightweight. I think I'm going to make this into a necklace.

Hope you like it!

Ruby

IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Wow! I love them! What do you use to model?

3. duann
    duann Member
  4. rubyscooby
    rubyscooby Member
    I used Zbrush to model it from reference photos I found on the internet. Wohoo I made it to the blog. That's fantastic! :p

5. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Did you use gold plated brass or stainless steel for that? It looks awesome.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  6. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    That's pretty wild...it's like the evil cousin of a jackaloupe.

7. rubyscooby
    rubyscooby Member
    It's stainless steel Gold Plated.

8. I just saw this via Shapeways' news feed. So awesome looking. It especially caught my eye because I'm working on a cat skull creation myself. I didn't realize someone had already beat met to the punch! I love this! And btw, how do you like zbrush? Have you used other programs? What tools do you use when modelling this?

9. rubyscooby
    rubyscooby Member
    Glad you like it. I do 3D animation for a living so have used many different programs. It really depends on what you want to do. Zbrush is the best for creating organic shapes. It's different than other programs where you move points and extrude splines. It's more of a digital clay. I love it. For more precise and geometrical designs you might want to use something else. If I were to do a ring or needed a specific size I would create the base in Cinema 4D or Maya. Zbrush also has a free program called sculptris ( I think thats the name). I did this with photo reference taken from the internet. 3D scanners are getting cheaper now though and I just got a primesense scanner for a job. I might try scanning in a skull next time to see how well it works. Good luck and be sure to post whatever you make.

Ruby

10. rubyscooby
    rubyscooby Member
    Oh and to the last question next time I'll make a video for you to see the process. I make a sphere then Dynamesh it, then just use clay buildup brush along with standard brush. You can export it in Zbrush using the plugin that comes with it. I made the skulls and horns separate so you can mix and match by them by using mesh insert brush or just loading and merging the subtools.

11. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Very nice pendant to be... Dynamesh has to be THE best ZBrush change ever introduced by Pixologic, and if memory serves it was soon after they acquired Sculptris.

12. maskadelic
    maskadelic Member
    Gnarly design! the grain really adds to the organic nature of it too