font compatible with 3d print

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Keymaker, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    Hello

I am just curious. Do you have some collection of fonts that have same line thickness everywhere?

I know i have somewhere some standard fonts in my windows, but it would be nice to have this kind of collection of maybe not so standards fonts that don't change line thickness in letters. (There is specific name for this that i don't know :) )

Thank you.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Try searching for "stick font", "engraving font", "Hershey font"

3. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    'Microgramma' worked for me with the WSF material. Lettering about 6-7mm tall.

4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Get yourself a Font Viewer program like this http://www.xiles.net/nexusfont/ There are others.
    You can type in the text you want and see at a glance what it looks like. It will also manage your fonts, so you can make your own custom folders with the fonts you want. There are plenty of free fonts available to download to add to your collection.

5. erckgillis
    erckgillis Member
    Since this is always a issue with all designs I will revisit this thread... ;)

Fonts used for designing then converted to 3D must NOT have-
    Small lines, joins or tight angles that will not print!
    varying thickness or closely aligned spacing ( small tight gaps will fail checks!)
    Small circles or dots in loops and letters like AQDBROP09864 problems with 2 3 E K C and especially "S"!
    Small connections, gaps or spacing must be fixed!

There are three kinds of font printing

1) Engraved

2) Embossed

3) Self Supporting

Examples of the first two are most common as the names imply.
    With "Engraved" or "etched" the letters are formed by first by removal of material or at SW the lack of printing. these are always "gaps" to SW designs.
    Raised text that is above the models surface is "Embossed" but always supported from underneath for all letters. these are "walls"
    last is harder to define bu simplly a design that uses letters/fonts as the primary surface and must be self supporting, water tight or have no parts that will "fall off" after printing...these vary greatly...

For each use and each material the best fonts will always vary. No universal constant is true, however some are better than others. If you search for a font try simple, clean or bold lines and fonts keywords. Also in some applications "stencil" is a good search term.

Customization of fonts and tools to create your own do exist...most are not totally free. http://www.textsketcher.com/

I have found several fonts that work but each depends on the minimum material specifications... Also since we cannot control orientation of our Models (hint/hint) then this is a good tutorial link-

Here are some to try- (see attached)

;)

ERCK Gillis
    The BLACK LAB Design
    Beta Decay byproducts

Attached Files:

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    For me, the right font is the right font - it may need adjusting slighty to look good when 3D printed in Shapeways' multitude of materials, however I've had no severe issues with any model printed with either embossed or impressed lettering, about the worst is the fine polishing media used with steel getting stuck in 0.4mm width impressed letter parts - e.g. Beginning = End = Mobius.

Though having a choice of over 1100 fonts installed with Corel Draw is a big bonus :)

Paul
    [hr][hr]