Problems with the hollow of a cad, help please!

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 337856_deleted, Aug 11, 2013.

1. the fact its that I can use the command cover ( in the 1º photo), the program doesnt leave me, The building is a block, maybe its too complex? what can i do? another program to make a easy hollow to make cheaper the impression?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much for your time.
    Felipe

2. While your building is very complex on the outside, it seems as though inside it is fairly simple, similar to a stepped pyramid.

I don't know the exact commands for your CAD program, but what I'd do is build a building similar in structure but with no ornamentation, just the basic shape and just a bit smaller in the X and Y dimensions, but aligned in the Z dimension. Make sure there is a proper 2mm or so gap between the walls of the inner and the outer building as specified in the materials specs for minimum wall thicknesses..

Then, either, do a boolean, or take the walls of the inner building and flip the normals so it is inside out. Then attach the buildings together at the floor and remove the old floors, leaving only the floor that connects the two buildings, all the normals of the floor should be pointing down so that they are outside polygons. So now you have a big empty shell of a building.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Thanks Pointhappy.
    Its a good solution, i used something similar other times but I must do too much buildings and in frosted ultra detail.
    The firsts I do I give them a tickness of 0.5 mm, if I give it 2mm it will be 4 times expensive.
    For that is why Im searching a program that makes it for me, with a simple command that makes a mask with it.
    Thanks again.

4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I don't know what program you are using, but what you can do is take the mesh and either remove the whole of the bottom or else several Vertices to create a suitable hole.

This mesh is obviously not watertight, but if you then give it a thickness as you describe in your last post, you should have a hollowed thin-wall model.

5. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    You cannot use the 'soliddedit' command on a block. The whole model needs to be one solid object for this to work. You will have to 'explode' each occurrence of the block. It may be easier to do it with a few blocks at a time. Explode them, then union them together, repeat this. Then union them all together. If all goes well and the object is one sold entity you should be able to hollow it. Delete the base face to leave an empty shell.
    This may not work, if when you explode each occurrence of the block, the block is converted to faces, which will depend on the complexity of the block. You may need to redefine the block as a solid.
    Sometimes It would be better not to create a block, but create each entity as a solid. This way just copy each entity and join them together.
    edit
    If all this does not work because of the complexity of the model. You could try to export the model anyway. This should join the model as one shell, if there are no holes in the model and all blocks are touching .Open the STL in Netfabb to check and repair. If this works OK. Import the STL into Blender and use the 'Solidify' modifier which should make it hollow.
    There are many experts in Blender on here that will show you the correct way

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013