Creating 2-3" figurine for children 5-9—are the materials safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 402444_deleted, Aug 8, 2013.

1. I'm in the process of finishing a digital book for children. I'd like to sell the main character as a figurine (by linking to an on demand shop) and investigating services, materials, process cost.

I'd like my figurine to reflect full-color—but uncertain if any of the materials are safe for children to play with (touch, carry around, etc...).

Any insight helpful.
    Thanks

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The only material that fits your requirement for "full color" is what shapeways calls full color sandstone, which is essentially inkjet-painted plaster powder held together by superglue. While this material can take some abuse - some here have
    posted pictures of key fobs made from it - it is brittle enough that it will break when dropped on a hard surface. Also the colors are not completely moisture proof and probably chemically similar or even identical to regular inkjet printer inks, so not suited for young kids that like to put stuff in their mouth.

An alternative might be to have your figurine printed in "white strong and flexible" Nylon material and tell the (older) kids to paint them to their heart's content with the kind of acrylic or enamel paints they use on aircraft model kits.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    To add to the above. Officially we say that products ordered from us are for decorative purposes only. I would not personally give my 5 year old a Full Color Sandstone toy to play with. At least not without some post production work. But I'd give her something to put on her shelf made from the material.