Change in the appearance of the Full Colour Sandstone.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trilobite, Aug 8, 2013.

1. trilobite
    trilobite Member
    Hi Shapeways,

I've just received my latest consignment of models and have noticed a change in the appearance of the Full Colour Sandstone.

I've been working for some time with the sandstone material and have been careful to try and work with its inherent qualities. I've grown used to (and now like) its dry, sandy, matte finish. Three of the models I've just received have a shiny, semi-wet finish, as though having been coated with a glossy spray. This wet look is also a little inconsistent and patchy, with one part virtually looking as though a wet thumbprint mark has been left upon it.

I'm not fully sure how the FCS process works but I'm aware that there are two stages (the gypsum build and then the setting with cyanoacrylate). Has the second stage changed in some way or are these glossy effects as a result of poor cleaning after the setting process?

My main concern here is with consistancy. It's not that the shiny appearance is particularily bad (although it does look a bit patchy) it's just that I've been carefully going through stages of design, development and prototyping (keeping notes as I go) trying to ensure that any product is exactly as it should be, and can be guaranteed as such to any client.

I was a bit surprised to see something so different.

Many thanks,

Trilobite.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Possibly too much cyanoacrylate coating applied - can you post a picture ?
    If you are not satisfied with the quality of your prints, email service with photos
    that show the defect - they need to be aware of any potential QA issues, and they
    are the ones to issue reprints if warranted.