Home » Support » 3D Design » How is the Min Escape Hole defined?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How is the Min Escape Hole defined? [message #72773] Wed, 07 August 2013 17:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar PointHappy  is currently offline PointHappy
Go to all my models
For Sand Stone, the property spec is Min Escape Hole: One hole: 25mm, Two holes: 15mm, Four holes: 10mm.

Does 25mm mean: 25mm on a side, 25mm diameter hole, 25mm radius hole, or 25 sq mm hole.

Thanks.
Re: How is the Min Escape Hole defined? [message #72776 is a reply to message #72773 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 17:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
I would say diameter.

It is definitely not sq. mm as the dimension is mm.
Normally a hole is round: if it is a polygon I believe that would have been specified.
When we give dimensions for a hole we do not use radii but diameters - think drill bits (which create holes). The diameter is something which can be directly measured, a radius must be calculated in the real world.
Re: How is the Min Escape Hole defined? [message #72783 is a reply to message #72776 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PointHappy  is currently offline PointHappy
Go to all my models
Thanks.

Of course, the easiest hole to create in 3D would be a triangular hole or quadrilateral hole by just deleting a polygon.and adding walls.
Re: How is the Min Escape Hole defined? [message #72790 is a reply to message #72783 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 21:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
That's true, but it would not make a very good looking aperture imo.

But if you wish to go that route, I would try for a similar area of hole as any of the specified combinations (although confusingly they don't add up to the same area).

Previous Topic:How to get started
Next Topic:I'm not sure I correctly understand "minimum detail size"