Home » Support » 3D Applications » wrl file format workflow
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
wrl file format workflow [message #72665] Mon, 05 August 2013 19:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar guidosalimbeni  is currently offline guidosalimbeni
Go to my shop
Hi,
I'm posting here my workflow on creating a model to be 3d printed in colored material (sandstone) . It is a bit time consuming workflow and there is not 100 % guarantee success about the mesh integrity checking for 3d printing, so i wonder if you can share your workflow or tell me where I could improve mine.

1) modeling in Zbrush or Maya
2) create UVs in Zbrush or Maya
3) export an obj version of the model from Zbrush or Maya
4) open the obj version in Netfab Software and fix any errors
5) import the cleaned obj in Zbrush or Maya
6) recreate the UVs or retransfer , the uvs are usually get lost after the fixing in Netfab
7) create the texture or reproject the previous texture in zbrush or maya
Cool export a wrl file format from zbrush or maya for 3d printing

I can't import wrl file format into netfab , so the only way to check any file is to convert it into an obj . Once I have the fixed obj I can safely paint the color on it , but if I move some vertices I will not sure anymore that the file is still fixed for 3d printing.
Basically a big improvement in my workflow could be to find a software like netfab that can import wry file format, but unfortunately I haven't find it yet.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Kind regards
Guido

http://www.3dsmithery.com
Re: wrl file format workflow [message #72763 is a reply to message #72665 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 14:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Nice! Yes, you're right - our Mesh Medic also tends to get UV maps wrong after fixing model issues like overlapping shells..

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: wrl file format workflow [message #72768 is a reply to message #72763 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 15:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar guidosalimbeni  is currently offline guidosalimbeni
Go to my shop
Hi thankyou for the reply,

I think that a software that can fix the mesh for 3d printing and that can repair the UVs at the same time, would be super great ..

for now..I believe that a software like Netfab that can open wrl file format would be enough for me to make a big difference in my workflow. Or maybe I should switch to another file format which allows to print in color?

regards
Guido

http://www.3dsmithery.com

Previous Topic:Blender Pricing Script
Next Topic:Automated MeshLab Conversion

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.