Home » Community » It arrived! » Steel Ring - Vizor (defying the Stainless Steel rules)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Steel Ring - Vizor (defying the Stainless Steel rules) [message #7458] Sat, 24 October 2009 13:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar cooldjez  is currently offline cooldjez
Go to my shop
Next to the fact that I like this ring very much myself (it is based on one of my older designs in silver), the biggest thing with this design is that the three rings that make up the design are only 1mm thick and have a depth of 2mm (the tube on the front has a diameter of 1.5mm). That said the ring still feels very sturdy.

I know that this defies the 3mm wall thickness rule for Stainless Steel, but I feel that this has to do with the way the ring is shaped.

At the back, the ring has a solid part that is 2.75mm x 2mm. This probably gives the printer a solid platform to start from, so that the thinner parts at the top/front can be supported.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/44696/ring___vizor.html

index.php?t=getfile&id=1671&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1672&private=0

• Attachment: Vizor1FL.jpg
    (Size: 66.93KB, Downloaded 999 time(s))

• Attachment: Vizor2FL.jpg
    (Size: 59.89KB, Downloaded 1000 time(s))

Re: Steel Ring - Vizor (defying the Stainless Steel rules) [message #7493 is a reply to message #7458 ] Tue, 27 October 2009 15:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
I think you're within initial specifications for steel. The 3mm wall-thickness limit only applies to "medium or large parts", whereas this ring is a small part (<50x50mm). Steel has higher resolution than WSF and is stronger, so presumably the minimum wall thickness is comparable for small parts, ~0.7mm.

Nice looking ring!

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Steel Ring - Vizor (defying the Stainless Steel rules) [message #7498 is a reply to message #7458 ] Tue, 27 October 2009 19:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cooldjez  is currently offline cooldjez
Go to my shop
Well it is still a bit of trial and error. My ring Gear for instance falls within the small parts definition and size, but it was unprintable.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/43763/gear.html

Re: Steel Ring - Vizor (defying the Stainless Steel rules) [message #12595 is a reply to message #7498 ] Sat, 08 May 2010 04:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Schaeffer  is currently offline Schaeffer
Go to my shop
Your ring doesn't defy the stainless rules.

On the stainless steel information page it states a 3mm wall thickness for large objects but small objects below 50x50x50 mm almost all print successfully with wall thickness below 1 mm although they aren't specific on a precise minimum wall thickness.

(also things can often be thinner than wall thickness, it needs wall thickness on the supporting parts, e.g. a spike on the nose of a unicorn may not need to be equal or above min wall thickness at all as it carries no mayor weight.)

Very nice design.
I just thought I'd reply, many people tend to miss the part about small objects and wall thickness on the information page. I missed it myself the first time I checked.

Cheers!

edit fixing typo's

[Updated on: Sat, 08 May 2010 04:57 UTC]

Re: Steel Ring - Vizor (defying the Stainless Steel rules) [message #12644 is a reply to message #7493 ] Mon, 10 May 2010 13:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 4m3D  is currently offline 4m3D
Go to my shop
Nice looking ring!

I was a bit confused by the wall thickness thing... I guess I need to go back and read the specs.

Thanks for all the clarifying info.

Todd
www.4m3d.com

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:37 UTC]

Re: Steel Ring - Vizor (defying the Stainless Steel rules) [message #12656 is a reply to message #12644 ] Mon, 10 May 2010 14:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Schaeffer  is currently offline Schaeffer
Go to my shop
I think shapeways needs to read it too, I just saw the feature on the blog confirming the ring pushes the limits but it said the thing about small objects with walls of <1mm on the steel page when I joined in march haha.

I'm pretty sure of it as I made myself a sheet with mat info to hang next to the desk for reference when I joined. Smile
Another reason I believe I'm correct is they seem to be testing my scorpion for 0,4 / 0,5 mm wall thickness when I compare the thickness test here with the information they gave me about what would break. It probably depends on the overal shape a lot.

Awesome that it got featured on the blog, maybe once I hit that tiny adjustment that will make it printable they will feature my scorpion too Smile

My previous reply is missing something with the unicorn example. it also depends on where they can pick up the model I think. If the unicorn horn wont receive too much force like fingers grasping it during moving it can be quite thin.
I'm not 100% sure on all this of course and it still needs to withstand cleaning/brushing.

I'm new here and am well sort of analyzing and studying the whole deal, trying to wrap my head around making stuff that need to work in production and not just purdy renders Smile
But this is how I understand it from my many mails about failure and advise on my scorpion model, the info sheets and giving the evaluation version of magics rp a try, they use it too when they test your model.

Gratz on making the blog and cheers!

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:03 UTC]

Previous Topic:Gear Heart arrived!
Next Topic:Mine arrived too ^^

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.