Home » Support » 3D Applications » Automated MeshLab Conversion
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72517] Thu, 01 August 2013 21:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar mvarnum  is currently offline mvarnum
Go to all my models
I'm looking for a way to automatically convert files in MeshLab. Or find a way to script that function in MeshLab.

In order for a model to successfully upload to Shapeways, I have to export them out of Maya as an .obj, load them into MeshLab, and export them as a .x3d file out of MeshLab. (No fixing of the models is necessary. I use MeshLab strictly as a way to get an .x3d file). The problem is that I have to go through MeshLab to get the file format I need, but there doesn't seem to be a way to script MeshLab. Every other part of this process has been automated, but I need a way to automate my file conversion in MeshLab.

Does anybody know of a solution for automating this, or at the very least, a work around?

Thanks
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72530 is a reply to message #72517 ] Fri, 02 August 2013 05:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi mvarnum,

is there a reason you can't just upload the .OBJ file directly? It's a file format that we support..

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72540 is a reply to message #72517 ] Fri, 02 August 2013 10:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
There is a scriptable meshlabserver executable included in the meshlab distribution.
I have not tried it myself, but my first search hit for "meshlab scripting" looks promising
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72565 is a reply to message #72530 ] Fri, 02 August 2013 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mvarnum  is currently offline mvarnum
Go to all my models
Every time I upload an .obj file, it shows up on Shapeways without its textures. It's just a plain white model.

Thanks mkroeker, I'll have to look into that. I'll report back if I find anything useful.
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72675 is a reply to message #72565 ] Mon, 05 August 2013 22:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapeways has not implemented textures support for OBJ.
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72779 is a reply to message #72675 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 18:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar clay2n  is currently offline clay2n
Go to my shop
Thanks, stannum.

Thanks, mkroeker. We were able to find what we were looking for here: http://ehc.ac/p/meshlab/discussion/499533/thread/63bd8f30/

Previous Topic:wrl file format workflow
Next Topic:How do I determine real life measurements in Blender 3D?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.