Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Automated MeshLab Conversion
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72517] Thu, 01 August 2013 21:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar mvarnum  is currently offline mvarnum
Go to all my models
I'm looking for a way to automatically convert files in MeshLab. Or find a way to script that function in MeshLab.

In order for a model to successfully upload to Shapeways, I have to export them out of Maya as an .obj, load them into MeshLab, and export them as a .x3d file out of MeshLab. (No fixing of the models is necessary. I use MeshLab strictly as a way to get an .x3d file). The problem is that I have to go through MeshLab to get the file format I need, but there doesn't seem to be a way to script MeshLab. Every other part of this process has been automated, but I need a way to automate my file conversion in MeshLab.

Does anybody know of a solution for automating this, or at the very least, a work around?

Thanks
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72530 is a reply to message #72517 ] Fri, 02 August 2013 05:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi mvarnum,

is there a reason you can't just upload the .OBJ file directly? It's a file format that we support..

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72540 is a reply to message #72517 ] Fri, 02 August 2013 10:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
There is a scriptable meshlabserver executable included in the meshlab distribution.
I have not tried it myself, but my first search hit for "meshlab scripting" looks promising
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72565 is a reply to message #72530 ] Fri, 02 August 2013 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mvarnum  is currently offline mvarnum
Go to all my models
Every time I upload an .obj file, it shows up on Shapeways without its textures. It's just a plain white model.

Thanks mkroeker, I'll have to look into that. I'll report back if I find anything useful.
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72675 is a reply to message #72565 ] Mon, 05 August 2013 22:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapeways has not implemented textures support for OBJ.
Re: Automated MeshLab Conversion [message #72779 is a reply to message #72675 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 18:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar clay2n  is currently offline clay2n
Go to my shop
Thanks, stannum.

Thanks, mkroeker. We were able to find what we were looking for here: http://ehc.ac/p/meshlab/discussion/499533/thread/63bd8f30/

Previous Topic:wrl file format workflow
Next Topic:How do I determine real life measurements in Blender 3D?