24 karat Gold

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Bobbiethejean, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Bobbiethejean
    Bobbiethejean Well-Known Member
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/plated-brass

Is there or will there ever be options for 10, 14, and 18 karat gold instead of 24 karat gold plating? Personally, I find 24k gold to be gaudy and way too soft. Every piece of 24k anything I've ever owned ends up scratched, bent, nicked, and/or dented. Also 24k is this bright garish yellow color that, well personally, I'm not a big fan of. I would really like to see different options, if that is possible. I truly hope it is because it would open up a lot of potential for jewelry making, among other things. Furthermore, using 10k and 14k would bring costs down, yes?

Also, will we ever see a silver plated brass option? This should hypothetically be cheaper than using straight silver, right? And will we ever see a just plain brass option? That could be very useful as well.

Thank you,

~Bobbie

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Bobbie, check out our official announcement page, and please add your suggestions there (some have already been suggested but you can add your vote) We want to consolidate requests so we can tally votes easier.

3. Bobbiethejean
    Bobbiethejean Well-Known Member
    Oh, excellent. Thanks for the heads up. :)