Home » Support » 3D Design » I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable [message #72348] Mon, 29 July 2013 16:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar AsysDesign  is currently offline AsysDesign
Go to all my models
Dear Friends,
I'm going to print my first 3d model but at the moment I can't because my file is not valid.
I already checked it and:
- it is manifold
- it is closed
- it observes dimensional restraints
- normals are well positioned

So what could it be the problem ??? Mad Mad Mad

It is a heart-shaped earring that I obtained by piping some non-filleted curves (its design is really geometric) in Rhinoceros...could it be the problem?

Thanks in advance
Alex
Re: I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable [message #72353 is a reply to message #72348 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 16:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
One common problem is that some programs export files with the wrong dimensions.. Too large/Too small for the printers.
Can you share the file?

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable [message #72354 is a reply to message #72348 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 16:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Not enough information - what is the actual error message you receive from shapeways,
and what file format is it that you try to upload ? (Also have you checked the file you exported
with meshlab or netfabb, or are you relying on what you see in rhino ? )
Re: I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable [message #72355 is a reply to message #72353 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 16:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Sure. What kind of format do you like ?
Re: I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable [message #72363 is a reply to message #72355 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 17:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Cannot speak for stonysmith obviously, but STL would probably not be a bad choice. (Unless you intend a multicolor
object, in which case I would opt for VRML2). (And if your problem is just that absolutely nothing happened after you
uploaded your file, be aware that there have been at least intermittent server problems since yesterday.)
Re: I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable [message #72370 is a reply to message #72348 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 20:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ok, the problem was due to a file type error. Shapeways did not accept my X3D, X3DB, X3DV and DAE files but it gets it if I save in STL.
Someone that could explain me why?

In the meanwhile, thanks to everybody that helped me !!
Really gratefull !!! Smile Smile Smile
Re: I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable [message #72372 is a reply to message #72370 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 20:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Did you try to upload a texture with the X3D variants (or was your model in rhino texured in any way that might make rhino try to include
a texture file path on export, even if you had not intended it to) ? One of the basic differences between STL and said other formats is that
STL contains only mesh coordinates - no colors, no textures or anything fancy.
Then there is always the possibility of a bug in the exporting program, X3D is a rather eloquent, XML-based format, so a missing field or bracket can make importing fail. Impossible to tell without seeing the file that failed - if you are curious, you could try viewing your X3D with view3dscene or some other vrml/x3d viewer.
Re: I just can't undestand why my model isn't printable [message #72373 is a reply to message #72372 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 20:59 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
mkroeker wrote on Mon, 29 July 2013 20:49

Did you try to upload a texture with the X3D variants (or was your model in rhino texured in any way that might make rhino try to include
a texture file path on export, even if you had not intended it to) ? One of the basic differences between STL and said other formats is that
STL contains only mesh coordinates - no colors, no textures or anything fancy.

No texture or something similar, I'm just print some prototypes in blank, white plastic.

Previous Topic:detached small parts problem
Next Topic:preview shapeways different from the drawing in autocad

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.