Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Thin Walls
Search Search  
 () 2 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: Thin Walls [message #8458 is a reply to message #8450 ] Sun, 20 December 2009 23:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar EricFinley  is currently offline EricFinley
Go to my shop
Of course! I'm just finishing tinkering with it so that I get a version which is usable by other people than myself. It works, even now, although my degree of faith in its results is not yet high.

After that, my sincere hope is to toss it to you guys, get you to run it on a whole bunch of known-good and known-bad meshes, and work with you to refine a version which can receive the Shapeways seal of approval - if it passes this, we'll print it.

Armed with that, I think my next project will then be a script which runs the thickness scan, nudges vertices outward in proportion to their degree of violation, and repeats until everything passes. I expect this to be slow - a "start it and leave for work / go to bed" kind of affair - but given the existence of the first script, it should be easy enough to continue on into the second.
Re: Thin Walls [message #8805 is a reply to message #8458 ] Fri, 08 January 2010 12:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar esnoeijs  is currently offline esnoeijs
Go to all my models
Perhaps this is already answered or is common knowledge but I could not find it.

I once read that if you create a hollow object that is closed, the support material will (obviously) be trapped inside. In such a case, should we still be careful with wall thickness? Or can we treat it as being a single solid when considering wall thickness?
Re: Thin Walls [message #8810 is a reply to message #8805 ] Fri, 08 January 2010 14:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
You must still worry about wall thickness. Wall thickness restrictions are primarily about stability, secondarily about preventing printer problems. Neither of those issues are helped by trapped support material. HTH...

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Thin Walls [message #8857 is a reply to message #8810 ] Sun, 10 January 2010 20:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Hey there Minimum Wall Thickness Discussion folks!

This new colour material has a minimum wall thickness of 3mm I see. I did some pretty detailed reading about what that means as opposed to a surface "feature".

So my question is ... how does minimum thickness apply to shells? Because there is more stability in a closed or semi closed structure than on a straight or stressed wall, I have noticed in some materials you can sneak in smaller wall thicknesses and have them work. I have, in some cases, gotten away with .5mm walls for shells.

I ask this because:

I'm sure the Bowie Bunny, which is created as a shell, has a less than 3mm thickness. Hold on, I have one in black detail here, I will measure ...

It is somewhere around 1mm thick.
(poor lil Bowie Bunny ... He is now dissected lol. I will order a new one - he is so cute)

Is this also true for the Bowie Bunny that Shapeways folks have advertised as a colour print? It must be, because it doesn't seem that Bowie Bunny solid, or 3mm could be that price. Or could it?

-Whystler

[Updated on: Sun, 10 January 2010 20:51 UTC]

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Thin Walls [message #8880 is a reply to message #8857 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 21:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
@Whystler: You are right it is not *that* black and white. In spheres less than 3mm can be gotten away with, but its a learning curve for us also.

As time progresses we can analyse and improve both our tutorials and our proving tools to allow as many models as possible (which is obviously our goal).

BTW for pictures we scaled the bunny to be a bit bigger Smile

@ dadrummond You are absolutely right. It is about both stability and preventing printer problems. Trapping support does not help.

Peter
Re: Thin Walls [message #8883 is a reply to message #8880 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 22:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Peter,

Good info.

Is the Bowie the Bunny you printed out in the Coloured Sandstone material, the same as the small Bowie Bunny available as a shell in the catalogue that I ordered in black detail? Or is the coloured Bowie Bunny solid?

-Whystler

[Updated on: Mon, 11 January 2010 22:50 UTC]

Re: Thin Walls [message #9146 is a reply to message #7408 ] Thu, 21 January 2010 23:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chronopsis2  is currently offline chronopsis2
Go to my shop
I've been dealing with the walls issue too.

A few months ago I submitted a handful of small, ~ 3.6 cm high typography models which I had hollowed out to save $ and weight. They successfully printed, but since then I have been submitting additional similar models which pass uploading but are subsequently rejected at manufacture.

This made me curious about my original letters. Since I modeled them entirely hollow with no front or back, I didn't really know if they were actually hollow.

So today, I cut one open. Lo and behold, it was solid! It could have been made with a laser cutter.

So, SW, was it easier to just charge me for less material ( as if my models were really hollow), send me the models as is and never tell me, or what was the issue?

here's the hollow model just prior to STL export:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2363&private=0

and here's the cut-open model:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2364&private=0

Re: Thin Walls [message #9148 is a reply to message #9146 ] Fri, 22 January 2010 04:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar EricFinley  is currently offline EricFinley
Go to my shop
From the looks of it, you didn't leave the filling material anywhere to get out, and they missed flagging it upon submission. And then the trapped filling material got solidified somewhat (maybe in some postprocessing step, maybe in shipping, maybe just over time) and is what you see there. Betcha it's weaker than the exterior if you test it.
Re: Thin Walls [message #9553 is a reply to message #7408 ] Thu, 04 February 2010 03:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, give the surface a scratch. My guess is that it's just packed in tight. You'll probably be able to excavate quite extensively. Do you think?

-Whystler

Re: Thin Walls [message #9987 is a reply to message #9146 ] Mon, 15 February 2010 22:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
If you do not leave an opening the material stays inside. Due to proximity to solid material and thus heat it gets a bit solid.

It is a trade-off in our pricing model where we do not charge for this material. In effect you could have send the model solid and we SHOULD have charged the same, however we have not cracked the nut to do just that yet.
Re: Thin Walls [message #21619 is a reply to message #7413 ] Mon, 13 December 2010 23:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Datto  is currently offline Datto
Go to my shop
woody64 wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 17:21

2. Is there a guide how to deal with such objects:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=7393

If an object has a peak then that results always in a thin wall at the end. Correct or wrong?

In practice, the answer seems to be YES unfortunately. This seems to be the problem I'm having. Tapered shapes are being flagged as walls now when before they were not. Here's an example:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5259375472_47be8aa5ab.jpg
1-43 driver by Dattodesign, on Flickr

Re: Thin Walls [message #22272 is a reply to message #21619 ] Fri, 07 January 2011 06:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar reecejames  is currently offline reecejames
Go to my shop
Same here!!

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=6526&

I'm seeing the same problem here with gear teeth. The gear is a nice large wall, but the teeth themselves, which only extend out 0.4mm, are causing the issue.

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Thin wall making us re-order [message #22563 is a reply to message #7408 ] Thu, 13 January 2011 16:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Datto  is currently offline Datto
Go to my shop
Considering how many previously (successfully) printed models are coming back with the thin wall error, Is there any way to streamline how this affects an order? If we could have 24 or 48 hours to edit our models, and re-submit them, and maintain the same order (paying the price difference , of course) That would be very much preferable to the coupon code applicable to the next order. Next order? What unneeded model shall I choose to fill the order out to the $25 minimum

I'm sure it's great for Shapeways to have another order with another $25 minimum, but from the customer standpoint, it's unsatisfactory.
Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #22585 is a reply to message #22563 ] Thu, 13 January 2011 21:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well I've successfully had the model above enter production! Big thank you to Kevin for his detailed explanation.

Things to take away in the case of my above post;
• A detail becomes a wall somewhere between 0.2 and 0.4.
• Detail comprised of 1x1x1mm squares or circles is acceptable geometry. (Make small gearteeth out of lots of little cubes)
• Lots of detail seems to crash mesh medic with a too many polygons error. (The model was around 44000 polys when submitted)

Basically a detail with an edge or corner less than 90° and or in a complex shape that does not fit into a 90° angle will be flagged as not printable.

To check if it's safe, draw a 1x1x1mm cube and see if it fits within the geometry touching the outermost surface, if it doesn't, it's not printable.

Best rule of thumb I could come up with. Smile

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #23779 is a reply to message #22585 ] Sun, 13 February 2011 10:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Noshaper  is currently offline Noshaper
Go to all my models
thanks for your explaination, but I'm not sure I understand this correctly:

• A detail becomes a wall somewhere between 0.2 and 0.4.

To check if it's safe, draw a 1x1x1mm cube and see if it fits within the geometry touching the outermost surface, if it doesn't, it's not printable.

Are you saying a detail smaller than 1mm at any axle can't be printed? I hope I misunderstood you.... Sad

Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #23781 is a reply to message #23779 ] Sun, 13 February 2011 11:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'll see if I can explain a little better.

If you create a wall of material. Any item that extends out of that wall, is either a wall or a detail. If a cube of the wall size x wall size x wall size fits within, it's a wall. If it can't, then the maximum it can extend from the wall is somewhere between 0.2 and 0.4 depending on wall thickness and angles on that detail.

In my case, I managed to make the tiny gear teeth on my traction engine using a bunch of 1mm squares, arrayed around the perimeter of the cylinder. Physically there isn't much difference and in actual fact, the teeth are smaller.
Cool

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #23893 is a reply to message #23781 ] Tue, 15 February 2011 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
reecejames wrote on Sun, 13 February 2011 11:27

...In my case, I managed to make the tiny gear teeth on my traction engine using a bunch of 1mm squares, arrayed around the perimeter of the cylinder.
Cool

Hi Reece;

Would you mind posting a closeup of the area circled in green? I'd like to see what those squares look like up close and what the spacing is between each square on the gear. You used 1mm squares because the depth (or wall thickness) of the wheel rim the gear teeth attach to is 1mm, right?
index.php?t=getfile&id=7155&private=0
Just to double-check your explanation of how surface detail versus wall is calculated: Lets say I add an item extending from the surface of a wall 0.7mm thick (built with WSF material). To check the item I draw a cube on the wall surface centered on the item with dimensions equal to the thickness of the wall (0.7mm x 0.7mm x0.7mm in this case).

If the item falls within the boundaries of the 0.7mm cube it is considered to be a surface detail and will be printed even though the dimensions of the item are less than 0.7mm (the minimum allowed wall thickness permitted for WSF material). If the item extends beyond the boundaries of the 0.7mm cube it is considered to be a wall and must have a minimum thickness of 0.7mm (because it's built of WSF material) in all three dimensions.

That steam engine is freaking awesome!! I hope to produce models with that level of detail too.

Scott

Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #23902 is a reply to message #23893 ] Wed, 16 February 2011 06:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Certainly Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=7157&private=0

You are quite right.

For WSF
If the item falls within the boundaries of the 0.7mm cube it is considered to be a surface detail and MAY be printable even though the dimensions of the item are less than 0.7mm. If the item extends beyond the boundaries of the 0.7mm cube it is considered to be a wall and must have a minimum thickness of 0.7mm in all three dimensions.

The may is something to do with the angle of intersection with the wall. For instance, the rivets on the engine are printable as they are wider than they are high. I guess that's a good rule of thumb, if it classifies as detail, make sure it is wider in the two dimensions on the wall than it extends from the wall.

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #23996 is a reply to message #23902 ] Fri, 18 February 2011 00:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you, Reece!

I'm going to modify the extrusion shown here:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=4553&a mp;start=0&

I'll make the extrusion 0.7mm thick up to the cutouts, then taper the "teeth" from 0.7mm to 0.4mm over the remaining 0.5mm of the extrusion.

If this is rejected I'll just make the entire extrusion 0.7mm thick and use a sanding stick (http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/232-525) to taper the edge down to 0.4mm.

The car will have a few rivets on it - I'll follow your advice.
Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #23997 is a reply to message #23996 ] Fri, 18 February 2011 00:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I would expect that to be rejected. That is because it will become a wall somewhere up to the 0.4mm mark from the wall. As it is a long length, it will certainly exceed the the 0.7 in one dimension, thus counting as a wall.

Remember a detail has to be under 0.7 in all 3 dimensions.

My recommendation is to make it 0.701 and then sand it down. You could also do it as a series of small separate details with a small space between them. (Think of like a dotted line of details along the ridge.) That would be allowable.
Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2011 00:45 UTC]

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #24171 is a reply to message #23997 ] Wed, 23 February 2011 21:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here's a shape that was accepted for printing. Dimensions shown are in inches (0.1mm roughly equals 0.004 inches):
index.php?t=getfile&id=7271&private=0
The thickness at the center of the column is 0.028" (0.7mm), the minimum thickness allowable for White Strong & Flexible material.
The four 'points' of the column extend from the 0.7mm wall 0.35mm and taper from a thickness of 0.7mm at the wall to 0.35mm at their tips - all within reecejames' rule-of-thumb for allowable surface detail dimensions.

Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #24273 is a reply to message #24171 ] Sat, 26 February 2011 09:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Noshaper  is currently offline Noshaper
Go to all my models
GWMT,

thanks for showing this example, this is really very helpfull!

I just wonder a bit about the width of your column which is 1.4 mm (0.056 inch), if I correctly understand your drawing. The Shapeway design instructions state that each axle has to be at least 2.5 mm in order to get an object printed? Maybe this rule is handled flexible if one of axles is very long (like the length of your column)!

Are there other examples with printed objects where one axles was less than 2.5mm?

PS: would you share a picture of the printed column, I really would love to see it in real?
Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #24280 is a reply to message #24273 ] Sat, 26 February 2011 19:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you, Noshaper.

I didn't explain that the column is an extrusion attached to a larger 4cm x 4cm x 20cm body. I suppose if you wanted to print just the column you could add a small piece of sprue to the 1.4mm side protruding 1.1mm and another piece to the 1.75mm side 0.75mm long to meet the 2.5mm x 2.5mm x2.5mm minimum dimension requirements.

I'm waiting for the model to be printed and shipped (assuming it can be printed and it arrives in one piece). Here's a 3D closeup shot of the model
index.php?t=getfile&id=7311&private=0
There's a sprue connecting the top of the columns together to hopefully prevent anything from breaking.

Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #24469 is a reply to message #24280 ] Sat, 05 March 2011 06:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It's here - the columns turned out pretty good. Here's a quick shot of one end.
index.php?t=getfile&id=7486&private=0

Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #24470 is a reply to message #24469 ] Sat, 05 March 2011 06:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Fantastic! Glad to see it worked for you!
Very Happy

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Thin wall making us re-order [message #24511 is a reply to message #24470 ] Sun, 06 March 2011 18:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, Reece! Your advice was crucial to making it work out on the first try.

The posts are 38mm tall - it's right on the edge of what can be printed as an unsupported extrusion. See how the post in the middle has twisted slightly to the left? I'm going to add some sprue to the center of the posts to stabilize them.
index.php?t=getfile&id=7510&private=0

Yet another thin wall rejection [message #24636 is a reply to message #7408 ] Wed, 09 March 2011 04:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar frank2056  is currently offline frank2056
Go to all my models
I think the most annoying "feature" of Shapeways is the seemingly arbitrary rejection of parts due to thin walls. I just had a model rejected because of this.

What's ironic is that I made the new parts thicker than the same part which had successfully printed many times before.
The image below shows the ""thin wall" error, with the successfully printed thinner parts below (all more than 1.7mm thick at the thickest). I believe that the error is in the large wings at the bottom of the image.

index.php?t=getfile&id=7524&private=0

So why does a thicker part (2mm thick at the thickest) get rejected when in the past I've had at least six of the large wings printed - with absolutely no errors? The new wings are as thick as the smaller wings in the image above.

It's like throwing darts -blindfolded.

Frank

• Attachment: wings.jpg
    (Size: 43.12KB, Downloaded 792 time(s))

Re: Thin Walls [message #25701 is a reply to message #7408 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 14:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar oopsclunkthud  is currently offline oopsclunkthud
Go to my shop
OK, I can see where detail becomes wall thickness. I can see that a tapered edge could get flagged. But I still can't see what's wrong with the following models. Both have been printed many times and now they are being flagged as having thin walls.

In both cases the walls are 1.5 or 2.0mm (well above the 0.7 for SF) the the section flagged seems to be across the face of a curved surface. Support could find nothing wrong with it but could also give me no remedy other than to "adhere to the design rules for the material."

index.php?t=getfile&id=7983&private=0

• Attachment: 114934-1.jpg
    (Size: 13.53KB, Downloaded 714 time(s))

Re: Thin Walls [message #25702 is a reply to message #25701 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 14:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here's the second model that was also flagged for thin walls across a curved surface.

index.php?t=getfile&id=7984&private=0

• Attachment: 114935-1.jpg
    (Size: 37.74KB, Downloaded 747 time(s))

Re: Thin Walls [message #25703 is a reply to message #25702 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 16:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Option 1.
Grab yourself a copy of NetFabb Basic, measure the wall thickness at the same point, take a screen shot and reply to the rejection email with your image and ask for an explaination in further detail exactly what is wrong.

Option 2.
Update the model with the exact same file and re-order - different operatives see different things Wink

Re: Thin Walls [message #25711 is a reply to message #25703 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 17:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the hint about netfab, needed that in my toolbox.

Looks like there may be a scale issue (out of the blue, as this has been printed many times already) as the walls are 2mm at the point indicated yet the screen shot shows .002.

Anyhow, I've gone the route of downloading and re-uploading the same model. Passed validation and ordered to see how it goes this time.
Re: Thin Walls [message #25717 is a reply to message #25711 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 19:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ah... that old chestnut!

I've had models rejected for being too thin by a factor of 1000 too. Looks like some operatives have their settings to millimeters and others to meters. Rolling Eyes

Re: Thin Walls [message #25718 is a reply to message #7408 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
I'm just glad this is being worked on. It is very disheartening to upload a complicated model, finally have it pass all the checks after fixing it many times, then ordering it just to have it rejected when you are ready to print and by. I have had to cancel many orders because of this. So anything that Shapeways does to make this more accurate and better with less overall rejections is fantastic and I thank all you guys for constantly striving to better your much appreciated service.

To kind of add on to what dadrummond said, I guess you will have to draw a line at some point to what is considered detail on a surface or whether it sticks out far enough to be considered its own object. Like a nose on a miniature is always very small. But since it is not very big then it would/should be easily passable and printable. However a nose like Pinocchio on a miniature would be too long and thin and subject to breaking. Thus getting rejected. I think one of the best things is to simply eyeball the problem areas on your side, considering the size of the print and make a judgement call if the print is practical or not.

For instance, one upload I did that got rejected, the miniatures teeth in his mouth were too thin which I totally understood. However I had some larger teeth as part of his necklace that were considered too thin as well, however they were sticking out of his chest so I think they would easily and safely print. But they were hanging out pretty far so that was my fault in design. But yeah, it is a fine line and something I need to remember when I am designing. Its just not up to you guys, I need to work within practical limits. but some solid understanding and realistic flexibility would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
Re: Thin Walls [message #27802 is a reply to message #25718 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 07:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dynath  is currently offline dynath
Go to my shop
Ok I'm new to this whole process and recently had two separate orders flagged as having walls that are too thin walls. I realize now the wall thickness error is really caused systemically in my modeling. I'm wondering if there is actually any tool which will calculate the thickness out there or if it is all just a manual thing were I need to start the habit of cross sectioning and measuring every part. I found a blender plugin on these forums but since it doesn't work with any of the versions of python and blender I've tried installing (probably my fault) I'm kind of hoping there is another option out there. It seemed that "tools" were vaguely mentioned at the start of this thread, anyone know what those "tools" are?

Check Out my blog dynath.blogspot.com
Re: Thin Walls [message #27803 is a reply to message #27802 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 07:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Grab yourself a copy of NetFabb Studio Basic (free), it has all sorts of measurings tools including wall thickness.

Re: Thin Walls [message #27875 is a reply to message #27803 ] Thu, 19 May 2011 22:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, Netfabb seems pretty useful. I was hoping for an automatic script or something that would flag areas of models without me spotting dangers before hand but this is the next best thing.

Is there any word if Shapeways is building such a script to check wall thickness on upload?

Re: Thin Walls [message #27880 is a reply to message #7408 ] Fri, 20 May 2011 00:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This is one of the reasons I'm loving Lightwave for my modelling. If gives you some amazing tools during construction that prevent you from making thin walls, but then also lets you measure between two surfaces, edges or points while editing. (It's an Lscript plugin called pnt2pnt I believe)

It's the semantics that catch us all out from time to time, but there's always a way around it Wink

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Thin Walls [message #27890 is a reply to message #27802 ] Fri, 20 May 2011 02:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Blender itself can print edge length or face area among other things (press F9). Of course, not so useful if the distance is no a single edge... so others just create a cube or sphere of the right size, move it around, and try to check if it's visible from both sides of the thin areas. Or flip the normals (adjust normal size to match minimum) as rulers to check if they poke out in some place.
Re: Thin Walls [message #28227 is a reply to message #27890 ] Thu, 26 May 2011 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I see, so inspite of shapeway's assurances back in 2009 that they were working on a checking tool the community is actually relying on the tools available in rendering packages designed for non-solid modeling or using work arounds created based on the community's personal experiences. Well as I said its good to know where we stand. Since I can't afford to buy lightwave and frankly blender baffles me i'll probably try that cube/sphere thing. But if shapeways staff actually is reading this thread still, it would be really nice to be able to have an automated checker of some kind, or maybe even a submission cue were the model is actually manually reviewed before someone orders it. Personally i'm trying to be proactive to fix my modeling before I submit the models but I feel horrible when someone else orders my model and I get that "order canceled" email hosing a potential customer. Its not shapeway's fault i know its mine, but some help fixing it would be really... helpful.

Re: Thin Walls [message #31930 is a reply to message #8450 ] Mon, 01 August 2011 18:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar uncookedtrout  is currently offline uncookedtrout
Go to my shop
I skimmed through the 78 posts before me and didn't see this addressed, my apologies if it is. Can we have the option to print a model even if it doesn't meet min wall thickness, knowing that the integrity can't be guaranteed? The one time I had wall thickness issues, the issue came from detail work. This option would be great for rapid prototyping, as in my case once I received the print it ended up being too small and I need to scale the whole thing, which would have solved the min wall thickness issue, if I hadn't already spend the time to remodel objects. Something simple as another check box when you upload the file would suffice. This would also save production time, because your employees would not need to manually check any walls.
Obviously Shapeways is conscious of the quality of product they deliver, but customers should be allowed to forgo the quality insurance measures if they choose.

Pages (3): [ «    1  2  3    »] 

Previous Topic:Rough gritty surface on FD

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.