Printed colors problem

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 349178_deleted, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Hello everyone!
    Please help. We have a big problem with printed colors on our models. Colors on a printed figurine are not the same comparatively to original colors on a model. Also some problem with red colors or similar to red colors. Here is an example (left - original model, right - printed figurine):

3ExamplesProblem.jpg

How can we solve this problem, how to make colors more accurate to the original model and how to avoid that red coloring if i make a texture with similar to red colors? We wan't to lost our money and a time with this problem, so please help.

A big thanks for any suggestions.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Here's something to help you understand the variation: Take your rendered images and print them onto paper. Compare the resultant print to that of what you find on the FCS models. There is a BIG difference between how a computer display shows an image versus what printers (3d or paper) can produce.

The FCS printer uses CMYK ink. It will "never" be exactly what you see on a computer screen.

Admittedly, the FCS printer has a reduced depth compared to what a common inkjet printer can produce, but you need to understand the RGB -> CMYK conversion process. I would suggest a google search on CMYK vs RGB.. such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model#Comparison_wit h_RGB_displays

There is a whole sub-topic of "color profiles", and it's possible that the FCS printer needs some tweaking, but that's a discussion for another day.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    In my opinion they look pretty good. I received a model this week that was supposed to be yellow but came out more green. It's not a huge deal in my case so I let it slide. Now the prints do come out a little dull. Check through the post production section for some good techniques to make your colors really pop.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Several users have done some work on this that may be helpful. The latest one I could remember is this one by entertailion: 70999

Hope it helps, good luck.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
  6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Sorry, that's the other one I was thinking of...but that was months ago, so my brain couldn't get there.

7. mdahmke
    mdahmke Member
    Hi - I'm trying to get my UV Map colors to come out right on color sandstone. I'm getting ready to print another test model with Blender settings:
    Texture: Influence: Blend = Add, Colors: Brightness, contrast, saturation = 1.
    Material: Diffuse, color black.
    I also increased the brightness of the image used for the UV Map.

On my first print test, the white cat came out as a medium gray. See attached.
    What is also frustrating is that the Shapeways preview colors are not even close to accurate for color sandstone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm going to order the new model which will boost the brightness... also I'm going to order the color quick ref:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/134424/color-quick-reference .html

Thanks

blender.jpg

8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Part of your problem could be the light scattering on the rough surface making the colors appear dull. Try coating (part of) your gray kitty with an epoxy (I have seen the "glaze coat" brand recommended in older threads). Also see the other current thread with "kitty content" over in the "It arrived!" forum.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I am more than happy with the way using glaze coat on one of my prints turned out :). It would probably take some experimenting to get the consistency right for applying to a statue like yours.

10. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    I strongly recommend making little test pieces that can be individually colored, sprayed, coated, mashed, scratched, sanded, brushed, dropped, heated, frozen, moistened, etc. to learn about material behaviors and post-processing.

11. mdahmke
    mdahmke Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I will try the glaze coat and also will run some more test prints.