Home » Community » General Discussion » Need advice, want to print 2 coloured metal pendants
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need advice, want to print 2 coloured metal pendants [message #71412] Wed, 10 July 2013 23:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar Eugen  is currently offline Eugen
Go to all my models
Hello all, this is my very first post, i have came across this from an ornithopter section of an RC forum, since this company prints alot of things and ive heard some good things about its pricing and delivery speed i got interested and would like some help.

I want to print 2 custom shaped pendants, those have a very deep simbolic meaning, basically i want them to be coloured and in the middle insert some glass that reflects light like a diamond, i want them to be stainless steel i guess and to be water proof (so when we shower they wont loose the color or rust)

Is what i want possible? if so, could anyone give me any direction or tip on how could i accomplish this with this company?

Thank you very much in advance!

[Updated on: Thu, 11 July 2013 00:33 UTC]

Re: Need advice, want to print 2 coloured metal pendants [message #71435 is a reply to message #71412 ] Thu, 11 July 2013 12:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The design is possible, if you can draw it in 3D or have 2D drawings, you can find someone to help you make it.

Our stainless is not waterproof. It's infused with bronze so it will discolor.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Need advice, want to print 2 coloured metal pendants [message #71443 is a reply to message #71435 ] Thu, 11 July 2013 13:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello, thank you very much for your reply, i have the design, but i need 1 pendant coloured green and another coloured pink, hmmm if its impossible to color any sort of metal and be assured it will not discolor in the shower or in the bath or at the beach or whatever... does your company work with coloured glass then?
Re: Need advice, want to print 2 coloured metal pendants [message #71444 is a reply to message #71412 ] Thu, 11 July 2013 13:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
You could probably find a rust preventing paint in those colors. We do not work with glass anymore.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Need advice, want to print 2 coloured metal pendants [message #71481 is a reply to message #71444 ] Thu, 11 July 2013 23:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks alot for all your help and for all your clarifications Smile
Re: Need advice, want to print 2 coloured metal pendants [message #71625 is a reply to message #71481 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 18:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
The only kind of metal that can be colored pink and green as part of the metal, not a coating, are those that anodize: aluminum, niobium, titanium. Titanium is 3D printable (though Shapeways doesn't carry it) but you probably won't want to pay the freight (which is why Shapeways doesn't carry it).

Stainless steel cannot be colored in this way. It doesn't take color except in the limited range of gun bluing.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com

Previous Topic:To 3DPrintshow or not to 3DPrintshow?
Next Topic:Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.