ceramics option?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 384712_deleted, Jul 10, 2013.

1. I just uploaded my first models, but can't seem to find any material options for ceramics due to the size.

Is it alright to put all my pieces on one file to exceed the minimum or should each object be x+y+z > 120mm?

Thanks!
    Betty

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Multiple objects in a file is kind of a double edged sword. The total bounding box is used for the max size for materials, and especially with ceramics (as they can't be sprued together as easily as other materials) each individual part has to meet the minimum size requirements.

3. oh, what a shame--that knocks out most of my projects! But thanks for answering!

Is it because handling/transporting small pieces to a kiln is difficult?
    I wish I could troubleshoot, but I understand these are the rules and I don't know much about the process for printing ceramics.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'm actually not sure why on the minimum bounding box. But more than likely it has to do with handling.

5. Is there some way I could help resolve that?

If the models are printed on something that can be directly transferred into the kiln, they could be printed directly on fire brick or organic material.

Organic materials burn out in the kiln and don't leave much of a trace, though i can't say what might leave the smallest trace and not interact with the glazes (they seem like very stable, opaque glazes so it may not even be a concern).