Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Work in progress » Please help: minimum bounding box size error for small piece - don't understand
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Please help: minimum bounding box size error for small piece - don't understand [message #71095] Sat, 06 July 2013 13:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar blainkennedy  is currently offline blainkennedy
Go to all my models
I'm trying to print this small piece (h x w x d) 9 x 53 x 14mm and got the following auto error message:

"Your model was too small for any of our 3D Printers. Our printers have a minimum bounding box size (h x w x d) of 0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25 cm / 0.098 x 0.098 x 0.098 inches. Don't fret, we have a tutorial explaining how you can scale your product: http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/converting-with-accutrans -3d."

This is a very small piece but I've printed other very small pieces before and not run into this error so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Intended material is bronze. I triple checked the SW file and the units are all mm to 4 decimals. Is it just a matter of thickening up the spindly clip portion of the design?

[Updated on: Sat, 06 July 2013 14:01 UTC]

Re: Please help: minimum bounding box size error for small piece - don't understand [message #71097 is a reply to message #71095 ] Sat, 06 July 2013 15:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Chances are that you or your software made a scaling error (unintended mm/inch conversion or similar) during export.
If it is an STL file, try loading it in netfabb studio basic (free from netfabb.com) and rescale there as neccessary.
Re: Please help: minimum bounding box size error for small piece - don't understand [message #71098 is a reply to message #71097 ] Sat, 06 July 2013 16:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Even if you get it to load, the thicknesses are too small for any of the stainless variants.
Re: Please help: minimum bounding box size error for small piece - don't understand [message #71105 is a reply to message #71098 ] Sat, 06 July 2013 19:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar InnerbreedFX  is currently offline InnerbreedFX
Go to my shop
what software are you using...

I had a similar issue that took me a while to figure out using Autodesk123d.
In autodesk123d it will export your model by a factor of 10 smaller than it should...
I took the model into blender and scaled it by a 10 and it was fine.

you may have a similar issue??

Innerbreed.co.uk
Create - Innovate - Inspire
Re: Please help: minimum bounding box size error for small piece - don't understand [message #71548 is a reply to message #71105 ] Sat, 13 July 2013 17:18 UTC Go to previous message
avatar blainkennedy  is currently offline blainkennedy
Go to all my models
I'm using Solidworks 2011. I opened the stl in Netfabb and somehow SW exported it much smaller than the dims. Strange I've never had that problem before. I scaled it up in netfabb until the dims were the same as the original model. Can't figure out why SW would fart that out this way but apparently it's not that uncommon. The advanced options on the stl export did have a discrepancy: inches instead of cm and I thought that might be the cause, but even after I changed it to mm the stl's being exported were still too small. I give up solving in SW and will just check scaling after exporting to stl. Smells like a bug in SW to me...

Previous Topic:Animatronic Baby called NANO
Next Topic:Trying to make a Personalize Stamp...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.