A question of will this print?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 382137_deleted, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Hey all,

I was hoping someone could look at the image I have attached and let me know if this would print. Obviously there would be something under the loop at the bottom, what I am wondering is if a structure like this can be printed.

The ring thickness is 1.2mm so there wont be any wall thickness issues.

Don't worry about the double up, just trying to show the two different objects.

Thanks, appreciate any input.

Steven

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  3. hmmm ok. Based on the attached image (still wip), I would attach the ring to the heart but not have the ring closed or ? This is my sticking point about doing this sort of thing. I see some amazing designs on here and just not sure how to structure the parts of the design when there are interlocking parts like this.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Steven

Attached Files:

4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Firstly decide what material you want to use; then look at the 'design guidelines' If the parts are interlocking you will need to keep them apart by a minimum clearance, Each material has different clearances, with WSF that clearance is 0.5mm. Otherwise the parts may get stuck together in the process of printing.
    Silver products are made using a lost wax process. 'Sprue's' are added to your model; then they are printed with wax, the model is put in a container and liquid plaster is poured around it to create a mold. After the plaster sets, the wax is melted out and molten silver is poured into the plaster mold. The plaster is then pulled away to reveal the silver. The 'sprue's' are then cut off and the model is polished.
    https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials

5. Hey,

I would be looking at metals for these designs, stainless and then silver.

I was looking at the mechanical parts tuts and found this..

"If you have a gear, gearbox or spring I would try to go for minimum clearance. When designing any other assembly I would go for more clearance. The minimum clearance is 0.6mm at all times. Do not go below this number or your parts will fuse."

So would it be safe to say if I can make the STL with .6mm clearance all around the ring walls.. that 'in theory' would be enough?

I looked at some of the materials properties and the PDF and there isn't anything specific that states minimum clearance.

Cheers

6. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  7. Thanks, yeh I was. I will go through that for all the materials.

I really appreciate all of your input in relation to this.

Cheers.

Steven.